This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it just me, or is the Steam Box really f***ing useless?

#1nonexistingheroPosted 11/16/2013 5:29:42 AM
It's basically a gaming PC in a small box. Specs are mid to high end, depending on which type you get. And the cheapest one seems to be roughly $600... which is actually more than custom building a PC with similar specs. You can also just use afforable SSD's instead of outrageously overpriced ones.

It seems to bring convenience, but it's really not the affordable bringing-PC-gaming-into-living-room experience everyone expected.

Anyhow, I'm not sure where they're trying to go with this. Why would anyone get a Steam Box instead of a PC?
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2water1111Posted 11/16/2013 5:36:50 AM
Do you hear that TC? its the rush of the hivemind attacking you because you were mean to Valve!
---
You are born Free but taxed to death
#3LazyyAmericanPosted 11/16/2013 5:44:38 AM
the hivemind lol....always srsbznss on the intranet.
---
Quite the dilemma....to coexist in a world that ostracizes you into obscurity
#4snesmaster40Posted 11/16/2013 5:48:33 AM
I agree. I guess it's to cater to the console gamers who want to game on their sofa infront of their TV.

It is a huge money making scheme though and it will make Valve a lot of money thanks to their growing library of games (early access, greenlight, even games that were on GOG are appearing).
---
Are we not men?
#5AsellusPosted 11/16/2013 5:57:00 AM(edited)
I honestly don't really expect it to go anywhere until we're maybe two part generations forward of where we are right now when even low end parts can can demolish the the consoles' jaguar apus and the high-end stuff can swing 4k as easily as anything does 1080p at this point.

This is just keeping their foot in the door so to speak.
#6dekouPosted 11/16/2013 5:54:10 AM
I don't think they've announced the prices yet. Have they? There's the Piston box, but it's very expensive due to its size and not a first-party Steam box, anyway.

Theoretically, Steam boxes should be PCs with reasonable specs for gaming and slightly cheaper pricing due to not requiring a Windows license.
#7KabtheMentatPosted 11/16/2013 6:33:44 AM
Yeah, the whole idea of the Steam Box is kinda goofy to me. The appeal of console gaming is that you don't typically have to deal with the bull **** that comes along with PC gaming. Just hook that ***** up and play. If you don't want to deal with building and installing stuff, get a PS4 or Xbox.

Most people that want to get into PC gaming will generally build their own, because is much cheaper and it's super easy to do once you get a little knowledge.

So I'm not sure where Valve's little box fits in on that.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#8nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 6:38:08 AM
snesmaster40 posted...
I agree. I guess it's to cater to the console gamers who want to game on their sofa infront of their TV.

It is a huge money making scheme though and it will make Valve a lot of money thanks to their growing library of games (early access, greenlight, even games that were on GOG are appearing).

You can use wireless controllers just fine on PC's and you can also just get a longer HDMI cable. Or just a short when and lug your PC to your living room. If you set it up correctly, it really isn't much effort. I'd rather do that than get a $600+ PC for the same purpose.

Although personally, I don't have a gaming PC. Just an ultrabook (cost me 430). But it's more powerful than an Xbox 360 & PS3 and hooking it up to my TV costs next-to-no effort.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#9Tommy2GoGoPosted 11/16/2013 6:50:57 AM
I kinda want one.
Would be nice to carry it around to a friend's house.
#10Ch3wyPosted 11/16/2013 6:55:06 AM
You have an ultrabook and you can't see why anyone would want a small gaming PC?
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.