This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick, is this a good deal for a keyboard?

#11PraetorXynPosted 11/16/2013 8:01:34 PM
AutoHotkey renders media keys useless.

For me, my arrow keys are media keys. When I hold down Alt, they control play back (Prev, Next, Play/Pause, Stop), and when I hold Ctrl+Alt they control volume (Down, Up, Mute, Open Media Player).

If you're willing to pay that much for a keyboard you'd be better off getting a Deck Legend, which is built like a tank (weighs 4 lbs), and the keycaps are printed using a custom sublimination process (key is in two pieces, black skirt and white inner key. Inner key is heated to a temperature where they can place black dye on top and it subliminates into the plastic. This is why the letters will never ever rub off.)

Most backlit keyboards, the lettering will rub off within a few years, and you'll have big bright holes where W, A, S, D are supposed to be.

The Legend also uses Costar stabilizers, whereas the Ducky uses Cherry stabilizers (Corsair's keyboards probably do as well). With Cherry stabilizers, the long keys will feel mushy compared to the rest of the keys.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#12ClouddxPosted 11/16/2013 8:05:21 PM
^ gotta agree.

Deck keyboards are awesomely built and will prob last you forever.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#13_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/16/2013 8:15:21 PM(edited)
strongo9 posted...
Personally, I would get the Corsair Vengeance K70 instead.

I would get neither.

-Backlight is a useless gimmick that is of no real use and adds another 87+ things that can break (leds). Replacing keycaps while continuing to make use of the backlight is not so easy.
-Pay $100+ for a keyboard, with Cherry stabilizers (eww)

Imo, just get the CM Quickfire rapid in your favorite switch for a superior typing experience and half the price. I personally use a Filco Majestouch 2, but really, the QFR is very similar and both of them are Costar made.

Honestly I think the popularity of the Corsair keyboards is undeserved. In the first generation of their keyboards, the drivers and that "repeat key" problem was pretty terrible. They are supposed to be better this time around, but personally I am just not willing to pay so much extra for shallow and pointless "gaming" aesthetic and features and a build quality that is largely unproven when compared to some other keyboards brands/models that are available.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#14Treason686Posted 11/16/2013 8:12:13 PM
PraetorXyn posted...

For me, my arrow keys are media keys. When I hold down Alt, they control play back (Prev, Next, Play/Pause, Stop), and when I hold Ctrl+Alt they control volume (Down, Up, Mute, Open Media Player).

Right... Other than the problem of overwriting browser forward and backward hotkeys that are standard across many browsers and operating systems, there's nothing wrong with binding alt-arrows to change your music.

Media keys.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#15iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:24:09 PM
Okay won't get the keyboard?
I hear tons of good stuff about Ducky tho.
---
Space Waster
#16iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:47:57 PM
Okay I'll check the CM quickfire. The computer store in my area has them so I'll try them there. Plus they are much cheaper. $70 and still blue switch.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_273_274&item_id=042921
---
Space Waster
#17PraetorXynPosted 11/16/2013 9:04:28 PM
Treason686 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

Right... Other than the problem of overwriting browser forward and backward hotkeys that are standard across many browsers and operating systems, there's nothing wrong with binding alt-arrows to change your music.

Media keys.

I wasn't even aware of that key combination... I use my side mouse buttons for that like everyone else.

Either way, AutoHotKey will let you set whatever hotkeys you want. I just gave an example of the ones I use. One of the other nifty things AHK does for me is allow me to use Ctrl+V in a console window (e.g. PowerShell, Command Prompt)
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#18PyrotechnixxxPosted 11/16/2013 10:36:23 PM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...

Honestly I think the popularity of the Corsair keyboards is undeserved. In the first generation of their keyboards, the drivers and that "repeat key" problem was pretty terrible. They are supposed to be better this time around, but personally I am just not willing to pay so much extra for shallow and pointless "gaming" aesthetic and features and a build quality that is largely unproven when compared to some other keyboards brands/models that are available.

So, you haven't used the new models, but you still think they're a bad investment based on the old ones? Gotcha.

Honestly, it's not about pointless "gaming" features, it's about convenience. If I want to adjust my volume, I don't have to fiddle with anything, there's a roller there for it. Having a volume roller is a deciding factor in buying a keyboard for many people, myself included.

In a similar manner, dedicated media keys are a wonderful convenience feature. AutoHotKey is a workaround, and requires time (albeit not much) to set up and program, etc. I'd much rather just be able to slide my hand to the right, press next, and call it a day. No set up, no weird 3 key combinations, it's just done. Most mice these days have back and forward buttons, so why complain when companies add convenient buttons to keyboards?
---
Fear is a leash.
#19_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/17/2013 4:51:30 AM(edited)
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...

So, you haven't used the new models, but you still think they're a bad investment based on the old ones? Gotcha.

No, because I said that even though they are supposed to be better this time around, the extra features they offer, to me, are not worth paying twice as much. Additionally, The much cheaper CM Quickfire rapid will offer a lot of people (partly subjective) an actually much better typing experience due to having Costar stabilizers.

I only mentioned the issues of the last generation of their keyboards to illustrate that the brand is not yet as proven as some other brands. But that not was the main point I was trying to make.

When I mentioned pointless gaming features, I was not talking about dedicated media keys. I think we can all agree that dedicated media keys are nice. Though personally I like the media key solution in the QFR because it allows the keyboard to retain its small footprint. When I thought about features I am not willing to pay for and that I think are pointless , I was thinking of things like " key by key customizable backlighting" , gaming WASD keys, or the attachable wrist rest that is too low to be of use to me.

But I mean no harm. If you have one and you are happy with it and like the way it looks and feels than that if fine. After all, when it comes to peripherals it is all subjective. I just tried to point out (very harshly) that there are products out there for half the price that are not exactly inferior products. Actually, depending on preference, you might like them better. But i am not sitting on a high-horse, I myself have a pointlessly expensive Filco.

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#20iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 9:00:26 AM
I see you mentioning getting Deck Legends for that same price but Deck legends are around $200. + With shipping and stuff would be close to double the price of the Ducky.
This is a tough decision. Everyone has there own opinion, one person recommends x brand, one person says x brand is bad.
Ah
---
Space Waster