This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With DDR4 coming out in the very near future, what is a PC builder to do?

#1SpringerPosted 11/16/2013 6:16:26 PM
http://www.hardwarepal.com/ddr4-memory-will-released-next-month/

I was going to build a PC over Black Friday and Cyber Monday, how does this affect me?

Here is was the build I was going off of:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/crostermiller/saved/2N9k

Anything I can do to make this build better given the constraints of not adding more than $20 to the build?
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#2urtvPosted 11/16/2013 6:27:44 PM
something better will always come out so no point waiting
#3NicodimusPosted 11/16/2013 6:28:38 PM
DDR4 is not much of a difference, honestly. Build what you want.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#4mrCubePosted 11/16/2013 6:29:27 PM
You're not going to be able to use DDR4 until Intel or AMD come out with processors that support it. It's going to be late next year before we see it start to be widely adopted.
---
---
#5ShubPosted 11/16/2013 6:29:46 PM
The availability of DDR4 is worthless without motherboards that can use it, and I don't believe we've heard anything about that yet.
Also, given that the jump from DDR2 to DDR3 was not worth fussing about, I say buy your PC and don't worry about DDR4. Plus, who knows? Early adopters get burnt sometimes. Better give it some time to make sure there are no issues.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6godplaysSNESPosted 11/16/2013 6:30:32 PM
As long as you have enough RAM, memory speed makes a minimal impact on gaming performance.

Integrated graphics can get a nice boost with faster RAM though
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#7Springer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 10:50:51 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
As long as you have enough RAM, memory speed makes a minimal impact on gaming performance.

Good to know. And randomly, my fiance told me how much she loves mario kart so i grabbed the snes out of the garage and we played Super Mario Kart.
---
**** taco bell
**** Matt Kenseth
#8akuma634Posted 11/16/2013 10:51:52 PM
Buy a new pad for Dance Dance Revolution 4?
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#9KingDFizzlePosted 11/16/2013 10:51:58 PM
Springer posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Good to know. And randomly, my fiance told me how much she loves mario kart so i grabbed the snes out of the garage and we played Super Mario Kart.

I initially read that as "garbage." I was about to e-punch you.
#10PhilOnDezPosted 11/16/2013 10:57:09 PM
I typed this up for another topic earlier, it should help you out a bit I think.

PhilOnDez posted...
As for DDR4, I doubt there will be any consumer grade PCs using it until mid-late 2014. We might see GDDR6 graphics cards, or even DDR4 discrete cards, before then but that will probably be the extent of it. DDR4 offers two things over DDR3, none of which really help the average desktop.

The first and most obvious is the higher speed, coming in at a base clock of 2133. If you were to somehow get DDR4 to work with a Haswell or IB CPU you really wouldn't notice a difference because current intel CPUs don't really scale much with memory speeds past 1600, especially if you have a dedicated gpu with its own bank of GDDR5 memory. AMD's FX processors benefit to a much more noticeable extent when increasing ram speed but the performance boosts are still in the single digit percents when comparing 1333 to 2133. Their APUs will get a much bigger bonus if you're using the them without a graphics card since they don't have dedicated memory of their own. A high speed (I could swear I read about some clocked at almost 4000) DDR4 build with an A10-8800k (or however they'll be named at that point) does interest me quite a bit but that's still a ways off.

The second advantage it has is greatly reduced power consumption. This is going to be huge for server centers running hundreds or thousands of sticks of ram 24/7 but for the average guy running 2-4 sticks in a desktop for 4-8 hours a day it would just barely make a dent in the overall cost of the desktop and won't really improve performance much, if at all. DDR4 will be great for laptops though, especially laptops with integrated graphics for the reasons mentioned above. It's definitely something to look forward to on that front.

---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez