This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My SSD is coming in soon. What should I know?

#1iPWNtheNoobsPosted 11/16/2013 8:32:23 PM
Best way to move things on it? What should I do when I get it? Anything to do to make sure it lasts as long as possible?
---
Space Waster
#2_Zero1_Posted 11/16/2013 8:33:07 PM
Clean install of OS. If you try to move it, it will become a mess
---
i5 3570k| Radeon HD 7950| 16GB 1600mhz DDR3| Asrock Z77 Pro4| Coolmaster V8 CPU Cooler| W8| 700GB HDD
#3steveboblarryPosted 11/16/2013 8:33:47 PM
NEVER DEFRAG YOUR SSD
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#4iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:38:13 PM(edited)
steveboblarry posted...
NEVER DEFRAG YOUR SSD

Will computer ever try do defrag it without my permission?

Also, I only have a 520W Power Supply. Should I worry? EDIT: Realized it uses 1W. I won't worry then.

---
Space Waster
#5AebleskiverPosted 11/16/2013 8:42:34 PM(edited)
It will automatically defrag if you have scheduled defrag on. Just take a few seconds and check it.

Coping an image of your windows isn't difficult but it might take a lot of time depending on your current window's drive status. A clean install will bring the best results if you don't mind reinstalling windows.
---
Bloop
#6iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:43:26 PM
Aebleskiver posted...
It will automatically defrag if you have scheduled defrag on. Just take a few seconds and check it.

Coping an image of your windows isn't difficult but it might take a lot of time depending on your current window's drive status. A clean install will bring the best results if you don't mind reinstalling windows.

Okay will probably just do a clean install.
Apparently Windows 8 will know it is an SSD and not defrag it.
---
Space Waster
#7How1ePosted 11/16/2013 8:44:19 PM
If you have Windows 7, it should automatically disable defrag and enable TRIM. There are many things you can do to tweak the SSD although I'd say some tweaks may cause more harm than good based on how you use your computer. Here's a rough guide:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide
---
In the future, there will be robots.
#8iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/16/2013 8:48:57 PM
I have windows 8. How similar will this stuff be?
---
Space Waster
#9How1ePosted 11/16/2013 8:55:54 PM
It will be extremely similar. The good news the major tweaks you need to make will be done by the OS. I wouldn't alter those other things unless you know what they are and how they affect the everyday usage of your system.
---
In the future, there will be robots.
#10AebleskiverPosted 11/16/2013 8:56:56 PM
I would say the important ones are to make sure deftag is off for your ssd (but on for your normal drives) and that Trim is on. The rest is a performance versus increasing life span choice. For example, I would recommend keeping system restore on for things like driver problems. But turning off indexing is a good idea since browsing files on a ssd is fast enough anyways.
---
Bloop