This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Clevo W110ER (11.6" gaming laptop) still worth it?

#1CardigansFanPosted 11/17/2013 11:00:03 AM
I'm still looking at a laptop replacement (never ended up buying that Gigabyte because I didn't end up needing the laptop that soon and now I'm considering cheaper options) because I'm not going to be keeping my desktop, and now I'm looking at the Clevo W110ER.

I used to have a M11x and liked the size, so that's not an issue. The screen res at 1366x768 kinda sucks (when there's a 13" laptop by Clevo with a 1080p screen), as well as the lack of a backlit keyboard, but on the other hand the lower screen res means the laptop has less of a hard time maxing a game at native res with those specs. Plus if I get it, I have no need for my Chromebook, since it'd be close to equally portable and much more useful.

That being said, if I can find one with the i7-3630QM (and the only GPU available - 2GB GT650M), for around $700 or less, would you guys say it's worth it? I don't know how the current gen of mobile processors compares, and I don't want to be in a situation like with my M11x where the old Core2Duo was holding me back from a lot, since I'll probably be keeping the laptop for a while.

Yes, I realize it'll be a huge step down in performance compared to my current desktop, but I don't think there's any game I own I wouldn't be able to max with those specs - and I'm trying to keep myself from buying anything else with my huge backlog.
---
Samsung ARM Chromebook * Galaxy Note 3 * NX300 * 3DS XL * AKA Magus77
#2PraetorXynPosted 11/17/2013 12:16:09 PM
You're still overpaying for what you get.
I'd prefer to just have a desktop for gaming and have some portable laptop for school/work etc.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#3CardigansFan(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 2:59:32 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
You're still overpaying for what you get.
I'd prefer to just have a desktop for gaming and have some portable laptop for school/work etc.

I'll be moving back to my parents', and while I have the space for it, my previous desktop got the room unbearably hot pretty quickly, and I don't have the option to adjust the temp just for my room (especially in the winter). I got a M11x partially for that reason.

And I want something gaming-capable on-the-go as I'll be going to a friends' house often with it, and that's much more convenient than unplugging everything, taking the desktop/monitor/keyboard/etc, and then setting it all up there.
---
Samsung ARM Chromebook * Galaxy Note 3 * NX300 * 3DS XL * AKA Magus77