This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Now that people have had a weekend to play it, how is X Rebirth?

#1Lady UnePosted 11/18/2013 5:54:55 AM
No official metacritic reviews listed yet but it has pretty negative user reviews. (don't know if it's because it genuinely sucks or fans of the series upset they changed the formula from the previous games)

So, how is it?
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#2Ch3wyPosted 11/18/2013 6:22:05 AM
I'm curious how it is too, I was pretty interested in the game but it is doing horrible on metacritic.

A lot of the bad reviews are complaining about how it's designed for consoles, which makes no sense because it's a PC exclusive. People are dumb.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 11/18/2013 6:45:06 AM
Well using the modding tools. people found x360 code and texture references and lots of comments. It also looks like the only controls that actually work at release is the x360 controller.

I see it as another lesson in why you should never pre-order.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4WinpusPosted 11/18/2013 6:58:05 AM(edited)
It's mostly the UI being designed for consoles. The entire main menu system is a mass effect wheel style full of thrice nested menu options. Once you get past the menu system to the option you want to select you'll changed to a view of a cockpit screen which is full of options that are confusing and unintuitive (property menu has 3 options per ship consisting of two letter acronyms). The map screen, while confusing, forces you to stop moving to look at it. Many of the core components are bugged, such as trading. Your owned ships will refuse to move despite a full order queue or will only follow you, even if you tell them to leave your squad. The traders practically need to be babysat, with some reports that their ship just completely disappeared with no report as to why.

Then there's the game halting main campaign bugs...

It's a beautiful game, but there's conspiracy theories abound (maybe true, maybe not, some proof given) that the game was developed for a console originally and aborted then released on PC to salvage the project (360 pad works great, flight sticks and HOTAS are nigh unusable). The UI needs some work and the bugs need to be patched out, but there's some potential.

Come back in 6 months.

Edit: Here's a look as to why there's no "official" scores yet. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=350578
#5Ch3wyPosted 11/18/2013 6:52:49 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Well using the modding tools. people found x360 code and texture references and lots of comments. It also looks like the only controls that actually work at release is the x360 controller.

I see it as another lesson in why you should never pre-order.

I didn't know that, I guess they do have plans to get it to consoles then? Or maybe they just did at one point in time and didn't delete the old comments, it's been in development for a while.

I don't see it needing a gamepad being a bad thing though. Gamepads are nice.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#6aak57Posted 11/18/2013 6:57:57 AM
Ch3wy posted...
A lot of the bad reviews are complaining about how it's designed for consoles, which makes no sense because it's a PC exclusive. People are dumb.

Diablo 3 >_>
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#7MortalDangerPosted 11/18/2013 7:38:24 AM
It's terrible. They bit off more than they could chew. The whole design philosophy sucks, nothing can fix it. They are going in a direction that may be good in 2-3 more games. Which by egosoft standards will be a decade or more.

For example: You become a giant trading mogul but you're dumpster diving and look through stations for items. The whole thing is terrible.
---
God Bless America.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 11/18/2013 8:07:46 AM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...

I don't see it needing a gamepad being a bad thing though. Gamepads are nice.

Needing a gamepad is not a problem.

What is suspicious is that it's a new custom engine, but they only built support for the x360 controller.

And this isn't a new developer, they had no trouble making all controllers, sticks, etc. work in the previous X games.

I didn't pre-order because I have a large enough backlog, but I wanted to play this over x-mas.

I'm disappointed. And once again I have no reason to upgrade my desktop (except maybe ps2 emulation) because once again, there are no games I want that need more power than what I already have.

Next up, Bannerlord. I really hope it doesn't disappoint.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9Lady Une(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 9:06:47 AM
That's kind of sad. I want something to fly around in, preferably in space, besides Galaxy on Fire 2 on my iPad.

Hopefully they get it sorted out, it still looks like something I'd enjoy.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#10Bazooka_PenguinPosted 11/18/2013 9:14:31 AM
Wow, so the game is utter dog**** eh? I'm not surprise actually.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif