This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone clear something up about mantle?

#1lauren24Posted 11/18/2013 4:55:12 PM
I am on the verge of updating my graphic cards to either a 7970 or r9 290. When mantle comes out these cards are supposed to get a boost. Will I need to get a new processor and motherboard to get the mantle boost?

I am currently running an i5 2500k. I was just confused as to how I would get the mantle boost.
#2Treason686Posted 11/18/2013 5:00:06 PM
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/76066-mantle-will-boost-performance-by-20-50-nvidia-can-add-support/

AMD has stated that Mantle is not tied to any architecture but would require a minimum set of features to be available on the hardware for it to work as intended, these features are already available on all modern GPUs.

Mantel is an API, so while it requires certain features on the hardware, these features are largely available.

They don't appear to require anything other than video card support. I don't know specific requirements, but I think it's safe to say that any video card you purchase will work with the API.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#3godplaysSNESPosted 11/18/2013 5:06:45 PM(edited)
You just need the card. Just remember that not all games will support Mantle, only ones confirmed yet are BF4 and future games running on Frostbite 3, Star Citizen and Thief

If you want Trueaudio though, you must get the R9 290.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#4lauren24(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 5:09:14 PM
Treason686 posted...
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/76066-mantle-will-boost-performance-by-20-50-nvidia-can-add-support/

AMD has stated that Mantle is not tied to any architecture but would require a minimum set of features to be available on the hardware for it to work as intended, these features are already available on all modern GPUs.

Mantel is an API, so while it requires certain features on the hardware, these features are largely available.

They don't appear to require anything other than video card support. I don't know specific requirements, but I think it's safe to say that any video card you purchase will work with the API.

So Mantle will also not be tied down to using a specific AMD processor right? Or does Intel need to provide support for it?
#5PhilOnDezPosted 11/18/2013 5:31:06 PM
From what I've read it doesn't matter what CPU you have, it's based solely on the gpu being compatible.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6blakegallowayPosted 11/18/2013 5:55:23 PM
lauren24 posted...
Treason686 posted...

So Mantle will also not be tied down to using a specific AMD processor right? Or does Intel need to provide support for it?

AMD has been all over the place on what will support mantle and who will get to work with it. Only thing for sure right now is a handful games and the newer AMD cards.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.