This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of getting a Netgear n600 wireless dual-band gigabit router

#1LittleYamiPosted 11/18/2013 7:00:52 PM
I'm using a verizon DSL modem that supposedly can run up to 15 mbps (I'm only get about 0.75-1.5 mbps) I have 2 laptops and a PS3 that all run wireless. I was wondering if getting a netgear router would help distribute the mbps evenly?
#2LordSeiferPosted 11/18/2013 7:14:26 PM
plug right into the modem with an ethernet cable

check the speed

youll never get faster than this speed by buying a router.
---
^ this
#3LittleYami(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 7:22:27 PM
So is that a yes or a no? I don't know if a should get the N600 or this N300 DSL one I saw.
#4LordSeiferPosted 11/18/2013 7:42:40 PM(edited)
did you do it yet? I gave you a task not a yes/no answer.
---
^ this
#5Saga3Posted 11/18/2013 7:44:24 PM
I have that router. Don't get it, it's terrible. Lots of disconnects, not getting maximum speeds from it either. Get some linksys router instead since they served me well the most out of any manufacturer I ever had.
#6mrCubePosted 11/18/2013 7:50:51 PM
LordSeifer posted...
did you do it yet? I gave you a task not a yes/no answer.

You gave him a pointless task that doesn't help him or answer his question at all. He didn't ask if a router would make his internet faster, your poor reading comprehension put that idea in your head.
---
---
#7NfuzedXGamerPosted 11/18/2013 7:53:28 PM
and on that note i need more coffee!! AC4 Black Flag downlaods at midnight!! and OMG i have to work tomorrow NVM,
#8Lady UnePosted 11/18/2013 8:00:51 PM
No router will boost your speed unless you have a router that is, well, pretty f***ed up I guess.

Your modem may support a 15Mbps connection, but from the sounds of things you are paying for a 1.5 down DSL line.

Do you need dual band? If the 5ghz channel isn't a huge draw I'd recommend this since you mentioned distributing the bandwidth evenly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TZM6XO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a very simple QoS and easy to use web interface for configuration. (you can assign min/max bandwidth by static ip or just check a box to let the router try and keep things balanced)

It's also on the cheaper side and has a pretty good range. I get 4-5 bars about 75 feet away though a wall, fireplace and a door with a PCI card. (my previous medialink that cost twice as much struggled to get 3 bars back to my room)

It's better than any other router I've bought including some that average in the $100-150 range.

Only thing I don't like is the stock firmware doesn't have any sort of real time bandwidth monitor.

It did seem to have a problem picking up my DNS settings from the modem, but after putting them in manually it's been smooth sailing.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
I still love Scribs.
#9LittleYami(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 3:32:31 PM(edited)
Lady Une posted...
No router will boost your speed unless you have a router that is, well, pretty f***ed up I guess.

Your modem may support a 15Mbps connection, but from the sounds of things you are paying for a 1.5 down DSL line.

Do you need dual band? If the 5ghz channel isn't a huge draw I'd recommend this since you mentioned distributing the bandwidth evenly:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TZM6XO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a very simple QoS and easy to use web interface for configuration. (you can assign min/max bandwidth by static ip or just check a box to let the router try and keep things balanced)

It's also on the cheaper side and has a pretty good range. I get 4-5 bars about 75 feet away though a wall, fireplace and a door with a PCI card. (my previous medialink that cost twice as much struggled to get 3 bars back to my room)

It's better than any other router I've bought including some that average in the $100-150 range.

Only thing I don't like is the stock firmware doesn't have any sort of real time bandwidth monitor.

It did seem to have a problem picking up my DNS settings from the modem, but after putting them in manually it's been smooth sailing.

Well, I want that 5ghz channel to watch HD videos and play online gaming. Can't I just connect the Netgear to my PS3 via the ethernet cable?
#10LordSeiferPosted 11/20/2013 6:28:38 PM(edited)
you dont need a 5ghz router to play games or watch video

my max download is 15 megs, and on wifi, 2.4, through a couple walls, i still get 15 megs

im not sure what the question about the ps3 was about, he never mentioned ps3
---
^ this