This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best way to upgrade to SSD without losing HDD files and no external Hard Drive?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best way to upgrade to SSD without losing HDD files and no external Hard Drive?

User Info: iPWNtheNoobs

iPWNtheNoobs
3 years ago#1
I understand programs won't work. Don't mind redownloading as it will just take lots of time and I have unlimited download. Problem is, I worried about losing certain files. I have important files all over in my computer not properly organized. I am too afraid of losing them. + Things like chrome saved passwords etc.
I have no external HDD to back up on.
Space Waster

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 years ago#2
Umm... as long as you don't format the old drive you're not going to lose anything. You'll just have to get the new one set up and copy things over
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!

User Info: LordSeifer

LordSeifer
3 years ago#3
why do you need an external? you have two harddrives.
is this a laptop?

if not, plug in SSD, and a way you go, copy and paste between em if you want

if its a laptop, well, get a little adapter to plug it in externally
^ this

User Info: iPWNtheNoobs

iPWNtheNoobs
3 years ago#4
Oh. So only programs stop working and those can be redownloaded and re-installed.
Space Waster

User Info: Devil_wings00

Devil_wings00
3 years ago#5
Use something like Acronis True Image to clone the drive, it's very simple to use and I would highly recommend it (it's not free though unless you are comfortable with pirating it). Either that or buy a samsung/intel SSD which both come with disk cloning software. Samsung EVO's come with very good disk cloning software from what I've heard.
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).

User Info: CloudZ1116

CloudZ1116
3 years ago#6
Just use Clonezilla. Free and easy to use.
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W

User Info: Chetyre

Chetyre
3 years ago#7
or dd
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar

User Info: Flaktrooper123

Flaktrooper123
3 years ago#8
Unless your PC only have one SATA plug, I don't see any issue. You just added another drive and you don't even need to remove your old hard drive.

User Info: Black_King945

Black_King945
3 years ago#9
If you have data that you can't lose saved on only one disk, and you are about to perform a clone or other disk function, you are asking for trouble.

I would never go through a clone process if I didn't already have a backup of the data on the primary drive, if you don't have your data backed up I automatically assume you are not all that tech savvy and may inadvertently destroy your data while working on the system.
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best way to upgrade to SSD without losing HDD files and no external Hard Drive?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived