This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Top end GPU's, how many actully get them?

#11DerPancakePosted 11/18/2013 10:06:00 PM
I would, but when I first build my PC someone recommended the 770 because I didn't know crap, and in the end now I'm actually pleased, the card never goes above 70C, even after the boost which makes the clock 1202, and even after I add another 40mhz on the clock (without increasing the voltage), and its still below 70C.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#12_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/19/2013 1:11:18 AM
A lot of people I play with buy these GPU's which always kind of surprises me, because I know what kind of jobs they have, and it is not like they just have money to squander.

Personally, I prefer to stick to the middle of the road, bang for buck components. Even if I can afford something better, it is just not worth it to me.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#13KabtheMentatPosted 11/19/2013 1:24:42 AM
I don't think the fanfare for the new high end cards is necessarily for people buying them. It's partly because it means the previously high end cards will go down in price (theoretically...looking at you, Nvidia).
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#14daemon_danPosted 11/19/2013 1:31:39 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
A lot of people I play with buy these GPU's which always kind of surprises me, because I know what kind of jobs they have, and it is not like they just have money to squander.

Personally, I prefer to stick to the middle of the road, bang for buck components. Even if I can afford something better, it is just not worth it to me.

There's this concept of saving up money that can still apply if your job isn't that good. That's what I did with my last job and I always had enough money to play with that I could get any game at launch I wanted.
---
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride
#15claytonbuckleyPosted 11/19/2013 2:17:02 AM(edited)
i usually go for Nvidia x70s and i try not to upgrade for a while (unless something dies, which it usually does)

I never get top end, not worth it for me.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#16_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/19/2013 3:01:15 AM(edited)
daemon_dan posted...
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...

There's this concept of saving up money that can still apply if your job isn't that good. That's what I did with my last job and I always had enough money to play with that I could get any game at launch I wanted.

Don't get me wrong. I am not wondering where they get the money from, or saying they are making bad decisions. I am just surprised sometimes by their decision to go for such expensive components. If I had not known them, I would have assumed something like a GTX 780 only appeals to those with a lot of disposable income, but there are people who will bend over backwards to get it.

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#17TropicMoon10Posted 11/19/2013 3:39:28 AM
I'd rather pay $150-$200 to keep me set for the next 3 or so years than pay $600-$700 for something really long-term. By the time my card starts to struggle then I'll just get something newly released that's just as affordable.

Plus it gives me an excuse to open up and play around with my desktop.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#18x_stevey_xPosted 11/19/2013 3:41:48 AM
because 150-200 is enough to play things on high for a few years and i don't care about max settings or paying 500 + dollars for a few % increase in diminishing returns performance
#19Sk0rbutPosted 11/19/2013 3:47:51 AM
Why not get exited about new cards even if you cant afford them right now? The super expensive top card of today is the affordable mid-range powerhouse of tomorrow.
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#20maybecallsPosted 11/19/2013 4:41:49 AM
The only way I'll ever own a top end GPU is if I win it in a competition.