This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Clean install of windows xp

#1sauruschamp1Posted 11/18/2013 10:33:08 PM
Ok I have an old laptop that is pretty bad. I am planning to reinstall windows and see if that gives it a fresh leash on life. I dont have any discs for it though (I do have the xp home edition sticker with product key though) so I will be missing drivers and xp disc.
What would be the best way to do this? The laptop wont be used for much but wanted to see how well it will run office etc after (my dads current laptop just died and was going to let him borrow this old thing untill he gets a new one)
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#2DoramiPosted 11/18/2013 10:48:13 PM
It's easier to just pop in an install disk for Manjaro and just click next a bunch of times.

You'll get drivers, browser, office, etc out of the box and/or within easy clicks of the package manager. It's a lot simpler than trying to hunt down a XP disk and XP drivers, then individual programs.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#3Erg0nPosted 11/18/2013 10:51:07 PM
I would go the Linux route as well. I don't know if MS offers an ISO of XP free to the public.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9Kj6EkR.gif
#4sauruschamp1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 1:05:11 AM
hmm the linux option does sound tempting as I always wanted to try out what it was like and using this old heap of junk might be the way to go seeing as it wasnt exactly going to play any games in the first place. Is manjaro the way to go or is there another linux distribution thingy that might be better (ie ubuntu)
---
#5DoramiPosted 11/19/2013 1:47:52 AM
It depends on what you want.

bleeding edge, customize from the ground up: Arch
bleeding edge, easy to use: Manjaro, Debian testing
easy to install, reasonably fast updates, world ends every 6 months: Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE
easy to install, tried and true old software: Debian stable, CentOS
bash your head in learning about Linux: Slackware, Gentoo

Pretty much everything except Arch, Gentoo, and Slackware is grab and go. I mentioned Manjaro because its defaults are very lightweight and thus more likely to be suited for an old computer than, say, Mint.

I don't like Ubuntu (and by extension Mint) because the 6 months release schedule is short enough that there's a lot of instability in the software, long enough that you aren't getting the latest and greatest, and it's a pain to deal with the upgrades because so many things change. You can get up to 18 months for the extended support, but if you're willing to deal with that kind of release cycle, you may as well go with something more stable like Debian.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#6sauruschamp1(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 3:35:45 AM
hmm I might get manjaro then if your right in saying it is lighter as I just looked at the specs on the laptop and only 512mb or RAM also the cpu is pretty bad.
---