This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how to change default storage to the HDD

#1X_ULTIMA_XPosted 11/19/2013 4:26:32 AM
recently got a new desktop and its awesome, but everything seems to be installing and downloading to the 120 gb SSD instead of the 2 tb HDD, how do i make the hard drive me main storage? also, if the SSD runs out of space while its the default storage option, will things just start to download/install on my harddrive? thanks
---
Regards, Dolan
R.I.P fungivore 2012-2012
#2lost_withinPosted 11/19/2013 6:33:03 AM
You can easily change the location of your user data folders — for example, your Downloads, Documents, Music, Video, Pictures, and other folders — just by right-clicking them in Windows, selecting Properties, and changing the location from the Location tab. You’ll be asked if you want Windows to move your files for you. After you’re done, your data folders will still be accessible in their normal location under your user directory and programs will see them in the normal location. They’ll just be stored on another drive.

You can simplify this process by just changing C: to whatever your secondary hard drive letter is...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#3X_ULTIMA_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 6:57:11 AM
lost_within posted...
You can easily change the location of your user data folders — for example, your Downloads, Documents, Music, Video, Pictures, and other folders — just by right-clicking them in Windows, selecting Properties, and changing the location from the Location tab. You’ll be asked if you want Windows to move your files for you. After you’re done, your data folders will still be accessible in their normal location under your user directory and programs will see them in the normal location. They’ll just be stored on another drive.

You can simplify this process by just changing C: to whatever your secondary hard drive letter is...

thanks, so all i have to do is rename the HDD and SSD?
---
Regards, Dolan
R.I.P fungivore 2012-2012
#4lost_withinPosted 11/19/2013 8:30:57 AM(edited)
you do not need to rename it... when you follow the right click, properties, click location tab: it will give you a directory C:\user\my account\my pictures or something along that line, you will change the c: to e: or whatever your secondary drive letter is... it then will ask you if you want to copy your files, and you will want to say yes...

It has been a while since I have done this so the exact details are a bit foggy...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison