This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam games not optimised for windows 7

#1Sephiroth311Posted 11/19/2013 11:10:50 AM
I've just noticed that in the Steam catalogue that Fallout 3 isn't optimised for windows 7. Does that mean it won't play at all or just that you might encounter some issues?

Do Steam patch games to keep them working on new operating systems or will they eventually become unplayable?
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#2steveboblarryPosted 11/19/2013 11:16:21 AM
Well for fallout 3 you need to do some work a rounds.

It can work, but it can be a pain configuring it.
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#3MarceloSampaioPosted 11/19/2013 11:19:00 AM
Steam (well, Valve) doesn't really patch the games (only the first-party ones). The developers do, and add on Steam. If a developer doesn't want to patch their game, the game will be unpatched forever.

ANYWAY, it doesn't mean that the game doesn't work on Windows 7. Most of them work, but may present issues.

And in your case, we are talking about Bethesda, they don't really give a dang about their older games. But Fallut 3 actually doesn't have issues with Windows 7. It has issues with multi-core CPUs though, but its easily fixable.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#4El MagnificoPosted 11/19/2013 11:19:44 AM
Steam has an article on the kinds of changes that you may need to make to have the game run properly here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8217-WJLC-9165
#5doctoglethorpePosted 11/19/2013 11:20:43 AM
Most of the time a simple "run in xp compatibility mode" toggle will flawless victory those situations. In Vista not so much, but 7 is a champ at getting hings done.
#6Sephiroth311(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 11:42:00 AM
But even if the developers give up on their old games unofficial patches and mod will ensure that these games never become unplayable right?

Sorry but I got so sick of consoles not offering BC that I switched to PC a long time ago thinking they were a safe bet. Really hate having to keep buying re-releases and so called HD remakes and that very little us being done to preserve the classics :(
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#7doctoglethorpePosted 11/19/2013 12:03:45 PM
Sephiroth311 posted...
But even if the developers give up on their old games unofficial patches and mod will ensure that these games never become unplayable right?

Sorry but I got so sick of consoles not offering BC that I switched to PC a long time ago thinking they were a safe bet. Really hate having to keep buying re-releases and so called HD remakes and that very little us being done to preserve the classics :(

Its more just on the OS to handle legacy programs decently. 7 is fantastic at that. Its a lot more work to do it on an individual game's basis and thus not really worth it for developers when the games stop selling much, not that they even need to really think about it since Microsoft is handling that job for them. Windows itself is an inherently backwards compatible system. Vista dropped the ball, but 7 picked it back up.
#8matu90rkPosted 11/19/2013 12:18:28 PM
If you also have FO:NV I recommend using the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to make FO3 run in the New Vegas engine, effectively combining both games. You will have all the improvements from New Vegas and it will be running in a much more stable engine.

http://www.taleoftwowastelands.com

The work they have done with that mod is amazing.
#9AerothosPosted 11/19/2013 12:33:52 PM
matu90rk posted...
If you also have FO:NV I recommend using the Tale of Two Wastelands mod to make FO3 run in the New Vegas engine, effectively combining both games. You will have all the improvements from New Vegas and it will be running in a much more stable engine.

http://www.taleoftwowastelands.com

The work they have done with that mod is amazing.

This mod plus a few others made fallout 3/NV my favorite game of all time. I can't play it vanilla anymore. Classic fallout weapons mod added a bunch of guns from fallout 1 & 2 without felling unbalanced like some weapon mods can, Mart's mutant mod added monsters from previous fallout games and let you increase encounter sizes, there's even a mod that lets you create your own manageable town. Community went nuts with this game.
#10TaitaoPosted 11/19/2013 1:00:19 PM
^ damn, looks like I will get into it. I hated the crashes in Fo3 in 7, and just uninstalled the game.
I hope this mod ppr unofficial patches fix those crashes.
---
Ashin Wirathu my hero!