This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you guys feel if there was now a fee to play online?

#1Kira0987Posted 11/19/2013 10:17:26 AM
As a Sony fan this is the dilemma I'm now faced with. I realize PSN does cost money to run, but when I look at how online used to be free, and then at how good the PC crowd has it, my rear begins to pain me.

The point? Probably going to go the PC route from here on out. Especially with it's constant growing popularity thanks in part to Steam. Did anyone else go through this before/is going through it presently?
---
Soul of the lost withdrawn from its vessel, let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
PSN - Makohazard
#2reincarnator07Posted 11/19/2013 10:19:16 AM
MS tried it a while back with Games For Windows Live. It didn't work.

I'll point out that somewhere, someone is paying the costs on most of these servers. Dedicated servers are run by someone.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#3Ch3wyPosted 11/19/2013 10:19:30 AM
That's not going to happen. The PC isn't a closed platform.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#4ein311Posted 11/19/2013 10:19:43 AM
I have PlayStation+ with my PS3 and feel it is worth it because I get a lot of free games every month.
if the PS4 continues to give the added value of free games, I think it'll be easier to justify purchasing it for the online play capabilities.

PC gaming is unique in that there isn't a centralized service that all games have to go through in order to play online, so subscriptions/etc. are up to the individual games.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#5WyzeGyePosted 11/19/2013 10:22:25 AM
is Xlink kai a viable option for new consoles? or is system link completely obsolete now?
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/JsGR60VNgYI - updated 11/14/2013
#6Kira0987(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 10:23:29 AM
Yeah, I know it isn't at all likely to happen, I was just suggesting it hypothetically to relate it to the new PSN fee. And like I said in my post, I realize PSN costs money to run so I can understand the fee. But that doesn't mean I necessarily like it.
---
Soul of the lost withdrawn from its vessel, let strength be granted so the world might be mended.
PSN - Makohazard
#7doctoglethorpePosted 11/19/2013 10:24:12 AM
Well, you'll be spending more on upgrades then you would on that annual sub. Worth it for enthusiasts, but not most.
#8DV8ingSourcesPosted 11/19/2013 10:32:05 AM(edited)
doctoglethorpe posted...
Well, you'll be spending more on upgrades then you would on that annual sub. Worth it for enthusiasts, but not most.

Really? I haven't upgraded in a few years really and I am still better off than console users. If I upgrade it's because I want to and not because I need to.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#9Ch3wyPosted 11/19/2013 10:32:14 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
doctoglethorpe posted...

Really? I haven't upgraded in a few years really and I still am better off than console users. If I upgrade its because I want to not because I need to.

But you have Windows 8 and a graphics card released last year...
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#10doctoglethorpePosted 11/19/2013 10:35:03 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
doctoglethorpe posted...

Really? I haven't upgraded in a few years really and I still am better off than console users. If I upgrade its because I want to not because I need to.

Sure but less then $50 a year's worth of upgrades? I doubt it. Even if you only toss $300 every 4-5 years thats still more then an ongoing PS+ sub. $300 is kind of low too, thats like a solid GPU upgrade. Only once every 4 gens? Not even touchin the CPU or whatever? Not much of a mastereraser like that.