This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you guys feel if there was now a fee to play online?

#11DV8ingSourcesPosted 11/19/2013 11:40:32 AM
doctoglethorpe posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
doctoglethorpe posted...
Well, you'll be spending more on upgrades then you would on that annual sub. Worth it for enthusiasts, but not most.

Really? I haven't upgraded in a few years really and I still am better off than console users. If I upgrade its because I want to not because I need to.

Sure but less then $50 a year's worth of upgrades? I doubt it. Even if you only toss $300 every 4-5 years thats still more then an ongoing PS+ sub. $300 is kind of low too, thats like a solid GPU upgrade. Only once every 4 gens? Not even touchin the CPU or whatever? Not much of a mastereraser like that.

Again, I COULD run the same games at the same settings as consoles but I CHOOSE not to. I like having the superior performance and settings and am willing to pay more for that. You are not comparing apples to apples.

Hell my old 260 can still play all multiplatform games better than the 360 or ps3.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#12jake-sfPosted 11/19/2013 11:40:34 AM
I'm utterly against the forced PS+ sub, I actually consider it completely unjustified.

Even more so on PC.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#13BogePosted 11/19/2013 11:43:29 AM
It would piss me off a bit because most games are going away from LAN.

I don't play games online with strangers. I just play with my friends, real life friends together in the same room. So forcing me to pay a fee to play that way would really really frustrate me.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#14doctoglethorpePosted 11/19/2013 11:56:12 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
doctoglethorpe posted...
DV8ingSources posted...
doctoglethorpe posted...
[snip]

[snap]

[cracker jack]

Again, I COULD run the same games at the same settings as consoles but I CHOOSE not to. I like having the superior performance and settings and am willing to pay more for that. You are not comparing apples to apples.

Hell my old 260 can still play all multiplatform games better than the 360 or ps3.

Eh, if your unable to keep yourself at least modestly up to date then thats exactly what consoles are for in the first place. I see no reason to really make that initial investment in PC gaming unless yoru really gonna stick to it. PC's don't get the same overtime soft optimization consoles get, so just matching a console at its launch doesn't mean your pc will always be on par with it. 5 years from now a PS4 is going to be playing games far better then a PC thats equal or even a little better then it today. There in lies the need to upgrade.

Besides, every real pc gamer always WANTS to have a better pc. Its a matter of affording, not desire. :p
#15AsucaHayashiPosted 11/19/2013 12:03:36 PM
Eh, if your unable to keep yourself at least modestly up to date then thats exactly what consoles are for in the first place.

voluntarily foregoing free content/mods and incredibly cheap games on a frighteningly consistent basis, free online etc. just because you can't keep up to par with console output is horrible logic.

i run a phenom II 920, 4gb ram and a 7850 1GB(up from 4850 which lasted me 4 years) and i still maintain the stand that PC gaming dominates console gaming across nearly every single aspect... and it's only "nearly" because there are some great devs working on great games that are sadly only available on console.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#16TropicMoon10Posted 11/19/2013 12:08:36 PM(edited)
If you're paying $400 for a console you might as well shell out the extra 50-60 bucks for one year of PSN+. You treat it as a full priced game and also get some free games in return (along with multiplayer.)

If the extra cash really bothers you then I dunno what to tell you. I mean I'm against the idea of paying for online but PSN+ at least is a little better of a system than XBL.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#17cloakedboltzPosted 11/19/2013 12:12:16 PM
You already pay to play online in some games, it's up to the consumer if they want to pay or not.
#18somebody336Posted 11/19/2013 12:18:57 PM
If they only locked off the multiplayer with a paywall it wouldn't effect me but I'd still be pretty upset. Probably not enough to leave steam though.
#19doctoglethorpePosted 11/19/2013 12:19:46 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
Eh, if your unable to keep yourself at least modestly up to date then thats exactly what consoles are for in the first place.

voluntarily foregoing free content/mods and incredibly cheap games on a frighteningly consistent basis, free online etc. just because you can't keep up to par with console output is horrible logic.

i run a phenom II 920, 4gb ram and a 7850 1GB(up from 4850 which lasted me 4 years) and i still maintain the stand that PC gaming dominates console gaming across nearly every single aspect... and it's only "nearly" because there are some great devs working on great games that are sadly only available on console.

Its easy for you to say that because you've still been well above current gen (well.. currentish?). If you had been using a PC all these years less capable then a console you'd probably think more highly of them.

Also, going PC just for mods is silly these days, its an over..mentioned.. askpect of PC gaming. Basially a few RPG's I can count on my hand actually have any real support and community for modding. Not that it isn't completely awesome for said handful of games, but its not this big global benefit its made out to be. The steam sales is a bit of a backwards reason to be a PC gamer too since, at the end of the day, the extra money spent on hardware balances it out anyways. Same goes for the free online, though in the case of PS+ they money goes to a lot more then that.
#20lemonfedPosted 11/19/2013 12:19:54 PM
I'm still runnin on a pentium IV ... and seriously the only reason I'm considering an upgrade is more in the case that my current computer fail rather then just having something more powerfull , I did personally installed a few online games but never spend money to play them online and I would never touch anything with a monthly fee like WOW ... they're called video 'games' and it's because they're only 'games'. xD
---
lemonfed / my lord , it seem that ganon and his minions have seize the island of gamefaqs .