This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there any reason to consider Opera over Firefox or Chrome?

#11Spincut(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2013 2:49:30 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Spincut posted...
Ok so, do the various browsers that all now apparently use the same engine do anything else to differentiate themselves even? I mean, I would assume this engine is one of the primary things that deterime how well these browsers perform (although let's be honest, at least among Firefox/Chrome/IE, they all appear to have unavoidable memory leaks where if left open long enough the thing will swallow up all your system memory).

Some add some window dressing or additional functionality.

One of the reasons I use Avant is it allows me to use trident, gecko and webkit all at the same time but with a nice consistent user interface. It it adds better ad blocking, script blocking, flash blocking, etc. (not as good as purpose built browser addins like ad block plus and noscript)

I don't recommend Avant anymore though, all the versions after build 100 have been utter garbage. The last good version was build 2013 23.
http://avant-browser-ultimate.soft32.com/old-version/427965/2013.build.23

This topic of discussion often seems to involve a past but no more recommendation it feels like :P .

But let's say, right now, one was to use a more known less obscure browser, is window dressing really the only thing that differentiates one from the other? Seems like as per my original question there may be almost zero reasons to use Opera over Chrome or something at the very least.
---
"Nice catch blanco nino, but too bad your ass got saaaaaaaaacked"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chZsmKZ9Rjw
#12SinisterSlayPosted 11/20/2013 2:59:23 PM(edited)
Spincut posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Spincut posted...
Ok so, do the various browsers that all now apparently use the same engine do anything else to differentiate themselves even? I mean, I would assume this engine is one of the primary things that deterime how well these browsers perform (although let's be honest, at least among Firefox/Chrome/IE, they all appear to have unavoidable memory leaks where if left open long enough the thing will swallow up all your system memory).

Some add some window dressing or additional functionality.

One of the reasons I use Avant is it allows me to use trident, gecko and webkit all at the same time but with a nice consistent user interface. It it adds better ad blocking, script blocking, flash blocking, etc. (not as good as purpose built browser addins like ad block plus and noscript)

I don't recommend Avant anymore though, all the versions after build 100 have been utter garbage. The last good version was build 2013 23.
http://avant-browser-ultimate.soft32.com/old-version/427965/2013.build.23

This topic of discussion often seems to involve a past but no more recommendation it feels like :P .

But let's say, right now, one was to use a more known less obscure browser, is window dressing really the only thing that differentiates one from the other? Seems like as per my original question there may be almost zero reasons to use Opera over Chrome or something at the very least.

Speed and capabilities will be pretty much the same.

The window dressing does matter though.

My folks hate chrome mobile but like opera mobile. Just because opera has an interface they prefer.

I have my Avant set to Chrome as my default. Why? because I can't stand how fugly Chrome is. An interface so bad it doesn't even have button text. What if you want your tabs at the bottom of the screen, you can't even do basic customization in Chrome. And the downloader is awful. Avant has its own downloader that can override the engines. And it's much easier to use.

Opera (well did, haven't used desktop version in years now) had/has a really nice customizable interface where you could essentially make any toolbar with any buttons and place them anywhere.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence