This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new gaming rig: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

#1ISDcaptain01Posted 11/20/2013 4:40:01 PM
Which one would be better? I've never used windows 8 before, I've heard its terrible. But Win7 is now 4 years old. I want a future proof OS. Which one should I get?
---
lol at --> http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?=89123
#2steveboblarryPosted 11/20/2013 4:41:05 PM
Well word of warning everyone here on this board will say to go to windows 8.1
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#3PraetorXynPosted 11/20/2013 4:47:21 PM
He's right, everyone will say 8.1 and act like you're a troglodyte for suggesting Windows 7 at all.
I use 7 because I have no reason to upgrade to 8.1, but if I was doing a new build I'd probably go with 8.1.

If you want the Metro gone, you can do that with Start8 (cheap, but better) or ClassicShell (worse, but free).

I have to use Metro at work when I work on Windows Server 2012, and once you learn the Windows Key shortcuts it's not terrible to get around. I still hate it on general principle that it shoehorns a tablet UI into a desktop operating systems though.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#4steveboblarryPosted 11/20/2013 4:50:04 PM(edited)
^Yep, everyone will think you are a troglodyte who is afraid of change and that your not smart enough to use Windows 8
---
#5ShubPosted 11/20/2013 4:53:32 PM
If you don't already own a Windows 7 license you can use, get 8.1, otherwise stick with 7, 8 isn't really worth buying a new license for.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6ChudsworthPosted 11/20/2013 5:00:32 PM
Stick with what you like.. if you want to try 8.1 go for it but if you already have 7 just use that MS will support it for a few more years, they are just now stopping the support of XP.
#7steveboblarryPosted 11/20/2013 5:02:07 PM
Chudsworth posted...
Stick with what you like.. if you want to try 8.1 go for it but if you already have 7 just use that MS will support it for a few more years, they are just now stopping the support of XP.

7 years
---