This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building a new gaming rig: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new gaming rig: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

User Info: ISDcaptain01

ISDcaptain01
3 years ago#1
Which one would be better? I've never used windows 8 before, I've heard its terrible. But Win7 is now 4 years old. I want a future proof OS. Which one should I get?
lol at --> http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?=89123

User Info: steveboblarry

steveboblarry
3 years ago#2
Well word of warning everyone here on this board will say to go to windows 8.1
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy

User Info: PraetorXyn

PraetorXyn
3 years ago#3
He's right, everyone will say 8.1 and act like you're a troglodyte for suggesting Windows 7 at all.
I use 7 because I have no reason to upgrade to 8.1, but if I was doing a new build I'd probably go with 8.1.

If you want the Metro gone, you can do that with Start8 (cheap, but better) or ClassicShell (worse, but free).

I have to use Metro at work when I work on Windows Server 2012, and once you learn the Windows Key shortcuts it's not terrible to get around. I still hate it on general principle that it shoehorns a tablet UI into a desktop operating systems though.
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9

steveboblarry
3 years ago#4
^Yep, everyone will think you are a troglodyte who is afraid of change and that your not smart enough to use Windows 8

User Info: Shub

Shub
3 years ago#5
If you don't already own a Windows 7 license you can use, get 8.1, otherwise stick with 7, 8 isn't really worth buying a new license for.
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

User Info: Chudsworth

Chudsworth
3 years ago#6
Stick with what you like.. if you want to try 8.1 go for it but if you already have 7 just use that MS will support it for a few more years, they are just now stopping the support of XP.

steveboblarry
3 years ago#7
Chudsworth posted...
Stick with what you like.. if you want to try 8.1 go for it but if you already have 7 just use that MS will support it for a few more years, they are just now stopping the support of XP.

7 years
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Building a new gaming rig: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived