This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

High GPU temps, what are my best options?

#1PioldesPosted 11/21/2013 7:09:56 AM
Hey, I haven't been playing a lot of PC games lately mostly out of worry of my high GPU temps.

My HIS Radeon 6970 (single fan on the GPU) nears the 100C when playing games sometimes and I know it's excessive. It idles around 60C which is also pretty high, from what I understand. It's bothering me now because in only used to be that high in very intensive games (BF3 & Witcher 2) but it's now heating up and very loud with whatever game (even with Gone Home! which is ridiculous).

One thing I know is that my case is definitely too small. It's a 4-ish year-old rig and I didn't buy a big case at the time. I don't know the dimensions at the top of my head, but let's just say that the GPU is going as far as a little in the HDD bay.

Would something like this be of any use? http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-twin-turbo-ii.html

Or would I really need to invest in a bigger case? If so, what would you recommend?

I don't plan on upgrading my PC soon (well, maybe Witcher 3), but I'd like it to be quieter and cooler because I'm worried about playing games on it : /
---
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together
http://steamcard.com/do/original/Pioldes.png
#2chris121691Posted 11/21/2013 7:17:35 AM
Hopefully the card isn't dying :/
#3Pioldes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2013 7:23:47 AM
chris121691 posted...
Hopefully the card isn't dying :/

Yeeeah, let's hope : /

Any way to test that?

Because at this point, It's almost better to build a new rig (still have a Phenom X2 940 and DDR2 RAM).

But I don't really feel like upgrading now because (aside from the noise), it still plays games very well in 1080p, A GPU fix would be better on my end for now.
---
#4SinisterSlayPosted 11/21/2013 8:17:19 AM
Have you tried cleaning it?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5Killah PriestPosted 11/21/2013 8:20:42 AM
pretty normal for an AMD card in my experience my 6970 gets that high.

set a custom fan curve in afterburner, that will help somewhat. and definitely look into cleaning it or maybe adding aftermarket cooling too.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#6cloakedboltzPosted 11/21/2013 8:20:42 AM
I had a factory OC'ed 460GTS, huge temp issues. Even tried to reapply paste and it still overheated. Tried to underclock and it wouldn't help.

It's possible your card is defective.
#7g7g7g7g7Posted 11/21/2013 8:40:47 AM
The fan has probably failed, you can get replacements, I had to replace the fan on my 6850 recently, I just snap-tied an 80mm case fan to it and it did the job.
---
You never see people quoting each other in sigs anymore. - Adam Laz
#8Pioldes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2013 8:47:42 AM
g7g7g7g7 posted...
The fan has probably failed, you can get replacements, I had to replace the fan on my 6850 recently, I just snap-tied an 80mm case fan to it and it did the job.

Mmh, that's potentially good news.

Should I just contact AMD or do they sell these on newegg or something?

How hard is it to change? The last time I messed around with my PC was when I installed the 6970 almost two years ago, I'm a bit paranoid about breaking stuff.
---
#9Pioldes(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2013 8:50:05 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes, I just did yesterday. I went from high 60s low 70s idle to mid 50s.

Which is still high, as I can see.

I'm also ashamed to admit I don't clean nearly as much as I should, and the GPU fan is a bit encrusted with dust. Which could explain the heat. So... if I can just replace the GPU fan and then actually clean it more often, it'd be great.
---
#10SinisterSlayPosted 11/21/2013 8:54:00 AM
Pioldes posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Yes, I just did yesterday. I went from high 60s low 70s idle to mid 50s.

Which is still high, as I can see.

I'm also ashamed to admit I don't clean nearly as much as I should, and the GPU fan is a bit encrusted with dust. Which could explain the heat. So... if I can just replace the GPU fan and then actually clean it more often, it'd be great.

Just manually force the fan to go faster.
Lots of fans seem to be restricted to not go 100%

my 9600GT refuses 100% and will happily let it reach 100C without full fan speed.
If I force full fan, it brings it down to 70C
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence