This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for routers where I can constrict bandwidth on certain devices

#11LB3Posted 11/24/2013 11:13:06 PM
What are you trying to accomplish by limiting the speed? Might be better ways to do what you want.
---
PSN: Bwleon7 Steam: bwleon79
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. -Albert Einstein
#12EternalFlame66Posted 11/24/2013 11:23:58 PM
Springer posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Springer posted...
ivanwind, it's not illegal.

timepharoah, i'm the parent.

Lady Une, thank you.

You're the parent and paying for the internet but you can't stop your kid from using it?

Nope/10 or you need to re-evaluate your parenting.

I don't want to stop them. I want to limit the bandwidth. That is my fault for not clarifying. My current router is a WRT54GS

if you can get tomato on it you can accomplish it with QoS
---
Such is your fate.
#13josh_bPosted 11/25/2013 1:57:17 AM
dd-wrt custom firmware is supported by your router and it's free. I've used it on several months now on my route to limit activity and give your device priority when it comes to bandwidth priority.

My wife in our home is always on youtube and we don't have cable so netflix and hulu takes it's place for our tv watching needs. When on one of these services i used to lag horribly since our internet speeds are not the greatest. It's possible to watch anything at 1080p quality but that pushes our bandwidth to it's limits. by limiting the devices on our network now the quality is around 720p.
.... she can't tell the difference or doesn't care and im able to maintain a very playable ping now. Stays around 30 to 40 instead of the 190 area i was hitting before when she was using something.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#14ChetyrePosted 11/25/2013 2:49:30 AM
Pretty much any decent router can do that. It is called QoS (quality of service). You can usually limit by both host and protocol.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar