This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about SSD

#1jessemoPosted 11/21/2013 9:14:46 PM
I've recently gotten a new computer for general uses such as gaming, internet surfing, school and university. As someone who likes to game quite a lot, I often find myself installing and then uninstalling a lot of games. My friend tells me that I should avoid installing these sort of games on my SSD for this purpose as it would destroy the SSD. However, another friend tells me that it should "be alright". Which view is more correct?
---
"There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'." - Syrio Forel
#2MasterDonGeroPosted 11/21/2013 9:17:44 PM
Nowadays, you should be all right, as long as you aren't uninstalling and installing ~100 GB every two days.

You should wait for more input, though, since I'm not too well-versed with SSDs.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#3jessemo(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 1:42:31 AM
Bump.
---
"There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'." - Syrio Forel
#4myztikricePosted 11/22/2013 2:18:37 AM
Harddrives are meant to be used.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#5Blobs_Posted 11/22/2013 2:19:42 AM
myztikrice posted...
Harddrives are meant to be used.

Nope, clearly harddrives were mean to be toasted.
---
is haha
#6ajxhPosted 11/22/2013 3:32:26 AM
I have the same question myself, although I don't think I move quite as much data as you claim to.

From what I've divined from the Internet, I don't believe that there should be an issue, but perhaps someone else can definitively say.
#7ZeraphLordSPosted 11/22/2013 4:01:23 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
Nowadays, you should be all right, as long as you aren't uninstalling and installing ~100 GB every two days.

You should wait for more input, though, since I'm not too well-versed with SSDs.

this man

i remember someone here mentioning they've seen them used for heavy work use and even then they only get trashed in about 3 months
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/22/2013 4:02:39 AM
I would just keep using it the way you are now if that is how you want to use it. Even if it shortens the life-span, they are meant to be used are they not? Also, I am not sure whether a few GB every few weeks is enough to "destroy" an SSD in a short amount of time.

Though to be clear, your friend is right, you should generally avoid using the SSD to constantly park and remove large files. Manufacturers claim however that for newer SSD's, even if you were to write 10GB a day, your SSD would still function properly for 10 years.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H