This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow, this Blue Yeti mic picks up everything (and not neccessarily in a good way)

#1superstud69xPosted 11/22/2013 12:01:28 AM
At first I thought the biggest problem was that I sit about a foot and a half to two feet away from it, but no it picks up my voice crystal clear. However, it also picks up my computer tower noise from 3 1/2 feet behind it crystal clear. And that's on the Cardiode mode (supposed to only pick up noise in front the mic).

The windscreen I bought makes no difference what-so-ever, so that's a wasted $10. I'm assuming it doesn't help because I sit kind of far away from the mic.

The volume control on the mic doesn't seem to affect anything, instead, I Windows sound manager makes the difference.

Gain can either make a huge difference or not at all.

This is gonna take a while to figure out, isn't it? :(
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 11/22/2013 12:04:32 AM
Right click your mic and go to properties, is there anything in the custom tab? When I uncheck AGC for my mic it fixes that problem.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3superstud69x(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 12:09:14 AM
My Lifechat 3000 had that AGC option, but I guess this mic is too advanced for that, since it isn't on there.
---
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
#4TivorPosted 11/22/2013 2:07:50 AM
Yeah, you need to get closer to the microphone. This will allow you to reduce the gain on the mic, which in turn should drastically reduce the computer noise it picks up. And yes, wind screen is for controlling the plosives when speaking very close to the microphone.
---
Vin Scully, Herge, Ray K. Metzker, Abelardo Morell, Arakawa Hiromu, Mori Kaoru, Steve Jobs, Depeche Mode, John Stockton. RESPECT.
#5_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/22/2013 4:38:16 AM(edited)
Even though it is not an omnidirectional mic, mics do not have magic properties that make them pick up only your voice. Usually, good mics will be sensitive.

There are ways around it however. What people usually do is make use of some sort of stand. Often some of the better mics like this have a -10 db setting (or something similar) that lowers the sensitivity of the mic and works very well in combination with a stand (if you use the mic closer to your mouth). This way you avoid it picking up anything other than your voice.

Your windscreen or pop filter probably works perfectly. You just misunderstand its use. It is not intended to reduce ambient noise. It is to stop plosives. If you bring the mic to your mouth and say the letter "P" for example, it gives a certain "pop" sound because of the air that hits the mic when you make these kind of sounds. A pop filter (or windscreen) takes care of this problem. People use this when singing, but also for things like voice-overs and narration (youtube commentary etc.)

An alternative to buying a stand is to just use push to talk. That is my preferred way of doing things.

In a headset people usually do not have this problem, because even though the mics that are included are usually low quality omnidirectional mics, they have a lower sensitivity with the intention of picking up your voice and not much else. The mic you bought has a more general use. This is not a flaw of the mic.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#6TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 11/22/2013 4:38:27 AM
Tivor posted...
Yeah, you need to get closer to the microphone. This will allow you to reduce the gain on the mic, which in turn should drastically reduce the computer noise it picks up. And yes, wind screen is for controlling the plosives when speaking very close to the microphone.

This. If you've ever seen a facecam of someone playing a game, they might have a stand for their mic that puts it like inches away from their face. And their voice sounds really clear. And only their voice.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/