This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A few questions about selling an old computer

#1JonexePosted 11/22/2013 4:53:25 AM
I'm in the market for a new laptop (travel a lot for work; need my games with me!) and I'd like to finance a portion of it by selling my current one. I've never really done this before, so I have a few questions!

1. What's the best way to ensure I have all of the appropriate drivers installed after a format? Some of them are easy, like the display driver, but I know there's drivers for other components that aren't always as such. I have the original manufacture's driver and utility disk; but that's going to be two year old drivers and I'd like to avoid playing the update game and avoid putting the bloatware back on it.

2a. I can't for the life of me find the Windows 7 disk that came from the manufacturer after moving. Is there a way to format and put a legitimate copy of Windows 7 back onto the machine?

2b. If not (to 2a), what would be the best way to remove all unnecessary programs and delete all personal data?

3. What's a fair price for this system? I was thinking $300~$400 range. (details below)
17" Display w/ full keyboard and number pad
Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz
8Gigs DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GT 555M
1TB HDD 7200 RPM

Thanks in advance!
---
"My life is a chip in your pile... ante up!"
#2Jonexe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 12:23:58 PM
I probably posted this way too early in the morning so... bump!
---
#3BowsaaPosted 11/22/2013 12:30:42 PM
For part 2a, try looking on the bottom of the laptop. It may have a sticker with the windows key on it. Just download an iso (legally) and install it using a flash drive/burn the iso to a disk and the key.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#4FlakconPosted 11/22/2013 12:38:00 PM
1. Your safest bet is to go to the manufacturer website and download it from there one by one but usually they have program that let it scan your drivers and help you update with a click.

2. All laptops comes with it's own recovery partition so you don't need to get a CD. Just find what is the key to press during start-up. You can do that with a manual or just searching online. Each brand usually use the same key across all of their laptops.

3. Look around and see what your laptop is priced at in the market.
---
PSN: theSkarekro [Hailing from Singapore!]
AE2012: Adon Sagat Yang | Tekken: Kazuya Law Jin
#5Jonexe(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 3:04:21 PM
Flakcon posted...

2. All laptops comes with it's own recovery partition so you don't need to get a CD. Just find what is the key to press during start-up. You can do that with a manual or just searching online. Each brand usually use the same key across all of their laptops.

I did not know that! Thanks!

3. Look around and see what your laptop is priced at in the market.

I would, but I'm not entirely sure where to look for two year old system prices :P Any suggestions?
---