This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer can't detect WIRED CONNECTION.

#1cookie_kidPosted 11/22/2013 7:02:55 AM
So all of the sudden, my computer can't recognize that it is connected to the internet through an ethernet cable to the router. My laptop is able to connect to my router both wirelessly and with an ethernet cable. My desktop; however, can only detect my router wirelessly but it has a terrible connection for some reason and now it wont even recognize any internet connection if I try to connect it with an ethernet cable. What could possibly be causing this problem?

Help please, I try restarting my modem and my router and switching cables but nothing seems to work =(
---
The best kind of pain is the painless kind
#2SlaynPosted 11/22/2013 7:08:18 AM
Does the ethernet adapter show up in the device manager?
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#3cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 7:10:53 AM
If I go to device manager, then network adapters, all I see after that is my adapter for my wireless device
---
#4lost_withinPosted 11/22/2013 7:47:36 AM
Run combofix, restart, scan for virii, eat a taco, come back, remove virii eat another taco, restart, ??
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#5protools1983Posted 11/22/2013 7:48:35 AM
Do you get NIC lights?
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#6Pepys MonsterPosted 11/22/2013 7:51:05 AM
Download the necessary LAN (not WLAN) driver and install it.
---
AMD A10 5757M @ 2.5GHz | Radeon 8750M 2GB | Samsung Evo 1TB SSD | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Windows 8
#7arleasPosted 11/22/2013 7:52:30 AM
If I go to device manager, then network adapters, all I see after that is my adapter for my wireless device

You don't even see any ?? on the list? Usually if there's a device attached but not recognized, there's a yellow question mark on the list, and then after reinstalling drivers it works... If that doesn't show up at all on your device manager then maybe your NIC died?
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#8cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 8:04:56 AM(edited)
lost_within posted...
Run combofix, restart, scan for virii, eat a taco, come back, remove virii eat another taco, restart, ??

I can't run it. It says that it can not run in compatibility mode?

protools1983 posted...
Do you get NIC lights?

Yes, when I plug it in, the top light is green and the bottom light is yellow

Pepys Monster posted...
Download the necessary LAN (not WLAN) driver and install it.

I recently tried that. I googled "realtek lan driver for windows 8.1" and downloaded the lan driver. However, after trying to install it, it asked me something about "deep sleep mode" and I still haven't been able to find a way to locate my LAN adapter

arleas posted...

You don't even see any ?? on the list? Usually if there's a device attached but not recognized, there's a yellow question mark on the list, and then after reinstalling drivers it works... If that doesn't show up at all on your device manager then maybe your NIC died?

Yeah, it's weird, I've never had this problem before. I dont THINK it died since it still display lights when I connect an ethernet cable to it
---
#9lost_withinPosted 11/22/2013 8:57:35 AM
cookie_kid posted...
lost_within posted...

Windows 8?
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#10cookie_kid(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2013 9:04:09 AM
lost_within posted...
cookie_kid posted...
lost_within posted...

Windows 8?

8.1 =/
---