This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does any1 know when the non ref R9 290s come out?

#11Cobra1010(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 6:36:13 AM
ricosan1988 posted...
I got mine today and I must admit, the noise thing is blown quite out of proportion. I already have five fans in my pc so I could not even tell the difference, in addition to using headphones much of the time. The card is great, I wanted non reference but as of right now I am extremely satisfied.

How is the heat? Because to me 94oC really IS very scary even though AMd says its normal. I've had bad experience with my old 8800GT where it kept getting hotter and hotter (90oC) at the end of year 5 of its life and eventually fried.
---
GG Riot
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png
#12PraetorXynPosted 11/24/2013 1:12:41 PM
The worse thing about that high heat is that you don't want it blowing on your other components, even if the graphics card is meant to be fine running that high.

I wouldn't bother with that card without custom water.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#13ShebeskiiPosted 11/24/2013 2:05:22 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
The worse thing about that high heat is that you don't want it blowing on your other components, even if the graphics card is meant to be fine running that high.

That's ridiculous. A decent aftermarket cooler is more than fine.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#14Snuckie7Posted 11/24/2013 2:20:48 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
kozmikkiller90 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
I wouldn't buy those cards unless you plan on running custom water cooling.
From what I've seen they run at about 100 degrees celsius even if you're watching YouTube.
AMD cards have always put out a lot of heat if you have multiple monitors, so this is really nothing new.

You realize that they designed the 290 to run at 90c, right?

And that's a terrible design.

Why is that? There's nothing wrong with a card running at 300C if the card works at that temperature.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#15nIMr0D888Posted 11/24/2013 2:31:40 PM
Operating temperature has absolutely nothing to do with how much heat the card is actually producing. Just because it is running at 90 degrees does not mean the card is super hot and going to melt everything around it.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE
#16EciDemonPosted 11/24/2013 2:36:01 PM
I wouldn't say terrible design, but not that good either with so little headroom to spare. The cards thermal throttle.
They are cheaper cards and you do get what you pay for in that respect.

Better to wait for the non reference designs :)
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#17wizardmonPosted 11/25/2013 3:27:59 PM(edited)
PraetorXyn posted...

It's a blower, all the hot air coming out of the 290 ref. cooler comes right out the back.

Knowing this, the only way I can take your post seriously is if you for whatever reason are intaking air from the back of the case...
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)