This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, I wish I could get into those "Grand Strategy" games.

#1TheSchrefPosted 11/22/2013 10:55:52 PM
I've tried Crusader Kings 2 and I just tried the demo of Europa Universalis 4 and they're just so difficult to get into. I don't want to watch a 4 hour tutorial video to learn the game, but the in-game tutorials are kind of.. meh.

It''s too bad. I can tell there is a great game in there once it all clicks, but it's just too much. When I was trying to learn CK2, it felt like a chore to play. Maybe these types of games just aren't for me.

:(
#2Last Grand MageX2Posted 11/22/2013 10:57:07 PM
Just play man. Don't try and win your first games, just start playing and figure out how things work.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#3clowningPosted 11/22/2013 11:03:06 PM
Yep, the best way to learn is to jump in and go at it. Every game is a learning experience. If you think of it that way, a "loss" is actually a gain.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#4NingishzidaPosted 11/22/2013 11:18:11 PM(edited)
TheSchref posted...
I don't want to watch a 4 hour tutorial video to learn the game

lol current gen gamers

ever since I've been a gamer, the most rewarding part is learning how to play thru one's own experience and thinking for oneself.

Winning from the outset (cuz wiki or youtube tactics) is boring, even eventual mastery of a game is boring even when you achieve it yourself (which is why as a master of many PC RPGs I just hang out on the boards answering Qs - I could never play them again as they pose no challenge to or discovery for me)
#5El_KazPosted 11/22/2013 11:23:07 PM
Ningishzida posted...
(which is why as a master of many PC RPGs I just hang out on the boards answering Qs - I could never play them again as they pose no challenge to or discovery for me)

But doesn't that neckbeard get unbearably itchy sometimes?
---
Wait... what?
#6NingishzidaPosted 11/22/2013 11:27:18 PM
El_Kaz posted...
But doesn't that neckbeard get unbearably itchy sometimes?

i bet later on when you sober up after binging on cheap canned beer you won't think this post is half as witty.