This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm finally starting to convert to full on digital. (Consoles only for now)

#11doctoglethorpePosted 11/23/2013 2:23:18 AM
I'm still incredibly bipolar about it. One day I'll be all "game collections are so lovely, I want an entire library filled with games and movies! I want people to walk in my room and look at all the neat stuff I covet!" and the next day I'll think "digital is so much cleaner and more convenient, besides my digital content won't get destroyed in the inevitable electrical fire my jungle of plugs behind my desk will one day start" and then ext day I'll be watching a youtube guide on how to build a giant shelf and the next I'll be tinkering with XBMC to convert my PC more and more to a digital media center.

I need to just make up my mind one way or the other.
#12AcquirePosted 11/23/2013 2:30:50 AM
I'm all digital on PC, but on console I just don't see the point given the issues that have been had with some high profile launches on the PSN store, prices being as expensive, and the fact that console games are huge. It's insane. Killzone Shadow Fall takes over 40GB or on my PS4. There's no reason for that gamer to be that big. About the only benefit for consoles for me is that I don't get charged taxes on digital purchases.
---
And if you hear as the warm night falls. The silver sound from a time so strange. Sing to me, sing to me.
#13jokujokujokuPosted 11/23/2013 3:05:57 AM
50inchDLP posted...
eventually people will own no physical media at all so when you die your accounts will also "die" and you have nothing to pass to your children.

When my parents die I'll get their vast VHS collection. Won't that be wonderful.

Not having anything of value to pass down isn't just in the nature of digital media, it's in the nature of all technological media. Why would I want to watch one of my parents' movies on VHS when I can watch it on Netflix at no additional cost to me, in better quality, and without the need to rewind when I was done? As well, your DVD collection will have been obsoleted by something much better by the time you would pass it on to your kids. Your vinyl collection will be nearly worthless as your record player surely wouldn't work after so many years, and no one would make them anymore so your kids wouldn't be able to buy a new one or even parts to repair yours. And I seriously doubt your kids are going to want to play any of your ancient PS3 games by the time you kick the bucket, that's assuming of course that they'd be able to find a PS3 that still worked.

But hey, there will always be books. I have books that are 150 years old, and reading them today is essentially the same experience as it was when they were first printed. I could pass them on to my kids and they wouldn't have to worry about finding a working device to "play" them, they can always just pick one up and read it.
#1450inchDLPPosted 11/23/2013 3:16:46 AM
jokujokujoku posted...
50inchDLP posted...
eventually people will own no physical media at all so when you die your accounts will also "die" and you have nothing to pass to your children.

When my parents die I'll get their vast VHS collection. Won't that be wonderful.

Not having anything of value to pass down isn't just in the nature of digital media, it's in the nature of all technological media. Why would I want to watch one of my parents' movies on VHS when I can watch it on Netflix at no additional cost to me, in better quality, and without the need to rewind when I was done? As well, your DVD collection will have been obsoleted by something much better by the time you would pass it on to your kids. Your vinyl collection will be nearly worthless as your record player surely wouldn't work after so many years, and no one would make them anymore so your kids wouldn't be able to buy a new one or even parts to repair yours. And I seriously doubt your kids are going to want to play any of your ancient PS3 games by the time you kick the bucket, that's assuming of course that they'd be able to find a PS3 that still worked.

But hey, there will always be books. I have books that are 150 years old, and reading them today is essentially the same experience as it was when they were first printed. I could pass them on to my kids and they wouldn't have to worry about finding a working device to "play" them, they can always just pick one up and read it.

I see your point. But picturing future peoples house just empty and cold with a big screen and a little "media box" hooked up to it is freaking me out.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -contains my Dreamcast project of putting HD vids of each US game up.http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/louerina
#15ConkerPosted 11/23/2013 3:38:52 AM
50inchDLP posted...
jokujokujoku posted...
50inchDLP posted...

I see your point. But picturing future peoples house just empty and cold with a big screen and a little "media box" hooked up to it is freaking me out.

You're also the guy that advocates buying Monster cables. Nothing you say has much value to it.
---
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!
#16ThePCElitistPosted 11/23/2013 3:57:47 AM
I'm digital only because less wear and tear on the disk drive. A hard drive is easier to replace than a disk drive.
---
I hate windows 8!