This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the 3gb vram in the geforce 780 ti hurt it a lot for future games in 1440p?

#1Combo MasterPosted 11/22/2013 10:52:37 PM
I know it's enough for 1080p but what about 1440p? Is there any point to sli these cards if it has a 3gb vram limit? Surely you would go over the 3 gb v ram to get the most benefit right?
---
Combo Master
#2PraetorXynPosted 11/22/2013 11:38:43 PM
It won't hurt it at all. Just bear in mind that if you're going to SLI, and you're not running a custom water loop, you need to get the non ACX versions, the "blower coolers", as they blow hot air directly out of the case. The ACX versions will have one card blowing hot air onto the other card. You could get by with it if your PCIe x16 slots were far enough apart, but it's not worth bothering with.

This is particularly true if you have one of SilverStone's cases with the 90 degree motherboard mount. In these cases, three massive 180mm intake fans pull in huge amounts of cool air through the bottom of the case, and this air will flow up parallel to and through the GPU's, straight out of the top of the case. The CPU headsink should be oriented so the fans pull air from the bottom and exhaust vertically out the top of the case as well.

Those SilverStone cases are by far the best air cooling you can get. The best ones are the FT02 if you are looking for a mid tower, and the TJ11 if you are looking for a full tower, but the TJ11 is pretty much the nicest non-custom case you can get and it's expensive as hell.

The 180mm fans are AP181's. SilverStone has released AP182's in its newer FT cases, but they only have two of them so the FT02 still cools better. Those are much better fans though, and they come with an actual fan controller instead of a two-way switch. They go to higher RPM without any higher noise than the AP121, and push up to 172 or so CFM at max RPM (26 dB). These fans do cost $32 each right now though, so a set of three is almost $100.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#3steveboblarryPosted 11/22/2013 11:46:29 PM
What does ACX mean?
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#4Master_BassPosted 11/22/2013 11:56:01 PM(edited)
steveboblarry posted...
What does ACX mean?

ACX is the custom cooler EVGA uses.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u69/acx_explode_view.jpg
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#5YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/23/2013 12:21:34 AM
My magic 8 ball came up with "Try Again Later."
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#6steveboblarryPosted 11/23/2013 8:54:34 AM
Master_Bass posted...
steveboblarry posted...
What does ACX mean?

ACX is the custom cooler EVGA uses.

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u69/acx_explode_view.jpg

Oh okay thank you
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#7Flaktrooper123Posted 11/23/2013 9:02:59 AM
Actually getting the non ref like ACX is fine for SLI, provided your motherboard don't have the PCI slots too close together. You may want to put a fan on the side to blow air directly to the GPU if that is the case. Be careful with those that has 3 slots design though.