This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Assassin's creed, where to start?

#21TheMoonJumperPosted 11/23/2013 1:39:34 PM
macheteman posted...
kyler45 posted...
Also, Assassins Creed is one of the few franchises I recommend playing on Console. Why? Because buying them used is pretty cheap, and the Steam Sales of them aren't all too great.

Seriously, I've played them all, and if you want to make ANY sense of the story, don't play them out of order, there's no reason to, they're all good games!

But why on console? You said you recommend playing on console, then listed zero reasons why you should.

He said they are pretty cheap used on console and no as cheap on Steam.

Did you even read it?
---
i5 4670K - MSI Z87 G45 - MSI GTX 770 2GB - 8GB Corsair Vengeance - Intel 128GB Cherrville SSD - 2TB Seagate HDD - H100i - 750w 80+ Gold
#22Ork_HeroPosted 11/23/2013 1:49:58 PM
Honestly I'd play 1 and 2 at most, then skip to 3 or Black Flag because you're going to get burnt out in my opinion. The gameplay is very similar to one another and guards/enemies act the same when sneaking around, they're all so unaware. Combat is touched up on each sequel, but I feel going brute force and killing everything kind of ruins the point of being an assassin, and countering makes you too strong for fighting to be much of a challenge anyway. The gameplay is very rehashed except for some certain story parts.
---
'Ere we go!
UK gamer girl
#23ArrowFluxPosted 11/23/2013 2:14:57 PM
Skip 1, play 2 and brotherhood, skip Revelations, maybw play 3 (although I didn't enjoy it), and play 4.
---
" 'Master Flynn, I detect you haven't bathed in the last week. I'll register that as a new quest on the list.' Quest: Take a bath!" -Horith
#24Kevin_OSPosted 11/23/2013 2:53:09 PM
The actual gameplay in AC1 is really fun if you've never played the AC games before but its just really repetitive. I'd say power through that one as quick as you can and then enjoy the far better games in the series from AC2 on. I don't know about Revelations though because I haven't played that one.
---
3570k / HD 7870 / GA-Z77X-D3H / 500R / 1TB HDD / 8GB DDR3 / TX 650
#25claytonbuckleyPosted 11/23/2013 3:32:15 PM
The story is such &*$% IMO that you can start anywhere. The individual stories (except 2,Brotherhood and Revelations) are all self contained so you don't need to have played the other games.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#26Tyranius2Posted 11/23/2013 3:40:22 PM
Don't listen to anyone telling you to skip the first.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#27TruthtelaPosted 11/23/2013 3:52:52 PM
The only problem with AC1 is that it is quite repetitive in that you do the same thing before every mission, but the individual assassinations are much better then in other games. It is far more "Assassin's" creed than "one man tank" creed. AC2 is still pretty good, and brotherhood is enjoyable as well. Revelations and 3 were pretty "meh" to me, but you might enjoy it for the story's sake. Skip the handheld console ones. I don't have much experience with the first 2, but liberation had basically 0 assassinations. Everything is guard + counter till the end. Expect for the "Bosses" which were, equip your dual blades and slash at him for 20 minutes whittling down health. It just carried over some of the plot subjects from 3, and other installments.
---
How's your muffin?
#28QUIKPosted 11/23/2013 4:10:53 PM
black flag without a doubt best assassins creed.
#29SnipeStarPosted 11/23/2013 5:05:34 PM
start at the first one and play them in order
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#30AnnihilatedPosted 11/23/2013 5:32:57 PM
Truthtela posted...
The only problem with AC1 is that it is quite repetitive in that you do the same thing before every mission, but the individual assassinations are much better then in other games. It is far more "Assassin's" creed than "one man tank" creed. AC2 is still pretty good, and brotherhood is enjoyable as well. Revelations and 3 were pretty "meh" to me, but you might enjoy it for the story's sake. Skip the handheld console ones. I don't have much experience with the first 2, but liberation had basically 0 assassinations. Everything is guard + counter till the end. Expect for the "Bosses" which were, equip your dual blades and slash at him for 20 minutes whittling down health. It just carried over some of the plot subjects from 3, and other installments.

Pretty much this. AC1 is underappreciated due to how repetitive it is, but the assassination missions are unlike anything that came after it. You spend a lot more time on your approach, casing the joint for possible escape routes depending on whether you leap on your target from the ceiling or quietly stab him while the crowd is looking away. And the key difference between this and the other games is that here it actually matters, because the mission doesn't just end and you teleport out after killing the guy. You have to consider whether it's better to do a low profile kill and slink away to your hideout before anyone suspects you, or do a high profile one and have legions of guards pursue you until you manage to fight them off enough to break chase. The combat isn't the best, but it's actually quite thrilling to fight your way out. In AC2 and beyond it doesn't matter how you kill your target, because magically you fast forward a year to the next mission.

AC Revelations is much more disappointing in its story line and lack of innovation. It's barely a sequel to Brotherhood, which was already like an expansion to AC2, and both were awesome. Revelations also has all these bombs that it wants so badly for you to care about, with their 15 different bomb types, bomb training missions, bomb ingredients around every corner, bomb objective records, just so much with the bombs. There is also no Desmond story line to speak of, and no real Ezio story left to be told. And the first person faux-"Portal" levels are an insulting excuse for a puzzle element.

AC3 at least tried to be better, but with its weak story element and poorly explained Artisans system, it can be kind of boring.