This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good alienware laptop?

#1PcGaMeRMARLEYPosted 11/23/2013 1:16:22 PM
What is a good alienware laptop for under 1,500$?
#2xanthan1Posted 11/23/2013 1:17:31 PM
None. Don't go for Alienware unless you feel like paying more then its worth.

No, I don't mean in relation to building your own. I mean over priced compared to the same specs from most other places.
#3PcGaMeRMARLEY(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 1:19:14 PM
What would you recommend I get then?
#4ATARIJAWAPosted 11/23/2013 1:20:34 PM
xanthan1 posted...

No, I don't mean in relation to building your own. I mean over priced compared to the same specs from most other places.

Their laptops aren't as overpriced as their desktops. They are comparable to ASUS and MSI laptops. Good build quality unlike the Lenovo's and Sagers which use cheaper materials but cost much less.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#5xanthan1Posted 11/23/2013 1:24:27 PM(edited)
I've heard good things about http://www.ecollegepc.com/ but I'd wait for a second opinion also.

Also what do you plan to use the laptop for? Is it required to be a laptop? If it's meant for gaming I would strongly consider a desktop since well.....laptops kind of get the **** end of the stick for that. If just for general use and light gaming it should be fine.
#6PcGaMeRMARLEY(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 1:22:42 PM
Okay thank you.
#7_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 11/23/2013 1:25:40 PM
xanthan1 posted...

To be honest, not really. While you do definitely spend more on an Alienware laptop than you would on a Sager you are paying for the service you get. ie if anything breaks or fails, a technician comes to your house within the next one or two days to fix your computer for you rather than you having to send it in. It's the difference between being without a computer for two days vs two weeks. That alone is worth the $200 or so more you pay nevermind the better cooling and build quality.

As to which one to get, the m14 is $1000+ and the m17 is $1500+. So which you choose depends on your budget and whether you want to focus more on portability or performance. You should call and discuss discounts. I was able to get almost 25% off my m17x when I bought it a few years ago.

Another thing to consider would be whether you really want a gaming laptop or not. I used to be all about them but now I never find myself gaming anywhere but my room with my huge 2560x1440 monitor and desktop, so the laptop basically just gathers dust because its too large to be used as a portable machine. If you do not need the portability you will get much greater performance for the same price with a desktop.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg