This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

VRAM question

#1Rama_XPosted 11/23/2013 3:01:32 PM
I read in the console board that the PS4 can use like 5GB ddr5 of vram ro play games.

So my question is how much vram should i have to keep up for next gen games?
---
Iam POPWW
#2EciDemonPosted 11/23/2013 3:04:11 PM
2GB seems to be the spot right now. Above 3GB is overkill for a single display.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#3killkountPosted 11/23/2013 3:06:35 PM
I just read in another post that the ps4's gpu can't use more than 2gb by design? lol
---
http://i.imgur.com/XqIF7rn.gif
#4Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 3:48:47 PM
EciDemon posted...
2GB seems to be the spot right now. Above 3GB is overkill for a single display.

Right now it seems so, but in 1 or 2 years that will probably change.
---
Iam POPWW
#5EciDemonPosted 11/23/2013 5:01:58 PM
It's a possibility, though I don't expect V-ram to increase that much. 3Gb will be fine for a single display
I used to Sli two 560Ti cards with 1GB V-ram and it was only a bottleneck in a few titles notably only such games that took steps beyond that of the console counterparts. Skyrim with texture mods, Crysis 3 and Tombraider. So I switched to a Gtx 680.

Assassins Creed 4 uses about 1.6GB so there's plenty to spare with a new high end graphics card.
Uses good textures and has tons of foliage and stuff on screen at all times.

So while the new consoles have a lot more ram then before, dev's still can't go nuts due to other limiting factors.
Ryse which looks very good still don't use better textures then Crysis 3 by the looks of it and it has to use gimped framebuffer resolution to play at acceptable levels.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#6Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 6:47:28 PM
EciDemon posted...
It's a possibility, though I don't expect V-ram to increase that much. 3Gb will be fine for a single display
I used to Sli two 560Ti cards with 1GB V-ram and it was only a bottleneck in a few titles notably only such games that took steps beyond that of the console counterparts. Skyrim with texture mods, Crysis 3 and Tombraider. So I switched to a Gtx 680.

Assassins Creed 4 uses about 1.6GB so there's plenty to spare with a new high end graphics card.
Uses good textures and has tons of foliage and stuff on screen at all times.

So while the new consoles have a lot more ram then before, dev's still can't go nuts due to other limiting factors.
Ryse which looks very good still don't use better textures then Crysis 3 by the looks of it and it has to use gimped framebuffer resolution to play at acceptable levels.

Great post man, very informative. I guess i will be fine then with 3gb of vram.
---
Iam POPWW
#7SlaynPosted 11/23/2013 7:12:35 PM
People need to stop worrying about vram and look at the performance of each individual card itself.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#8Pal 080Posted 11/23/2013 7:21:12 PM(edited)
1 GB still seems fine for pretty much everything except for the most demanding of textures, so I feel like 3GB will be plenty to keep up with any demand for many years to come, particularly at 1080p. I don't see any game outside the boundaries of 3GB required for a good experience on highest settings at 1080p, hell even 1440p on a single display should work for years I would expect.

Guy above me is right too, I see a lot of people drawn toward bad GPU's simply because they have a large amount of VRAM, but that's not going to help if the base power of the GPU isn't effective for demanding titles.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#9Rama_X(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 8:12:44 PM
Pal 080 posted...
1 GB still seems fine for pretty much everything except for the most demanding of textures, so I feel like 3GB will be plenty to keep up with any demand for many years to come, particularly at 1080p. I don't see any game outside the boundaries of 3GB required for a good experience on highest settings at 1080p, hell even 1440p on a single display should work for years I would expect.

Guy above me is right too, I see a lot of people drawn toward bad GPU's simply because they have a large amount of VRAM, but that's not going to help if the base power of the GPU isn't effective for demanding titles.

Yeah that seems to be the case, i feel even better now about buying the N780 Lightning =D It will be a great upgrade for my good GeForce 8600 GT, my baby had a good run.
---
Iam POPWW