This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How's this for a laptop?

#1NintendoMasterPosted 11/23/2013 3:56:58 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQGBABI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1BGS8NFDW02GK5QQ1Q03&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072382&pf_rd_i=507846

I've never owned an ASUS before, but it can't be any worse than the Dell I'm using right now.

I don't plan on doing any gaming on it, just browsing the internet, itunes with about 5k songs, downloading music, college work.

I like the fact that it has a solid state drive, so it should boot fairly fast, but again I just don't know much about ASUS having never owned one of their products. The price is right in my range as well.
---
///\\\///intendo ///\\\///\\\aster
#2DoramiPosted 11/23/2013 4:02:18 PM
It will work fine for your purposes--as long as you do not need to use the battery for too long.

Personally, I would not go for a 3000 series processor at this point, but if you can't find one you like with a 4000 series processor, then so be it.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#3QUIKPosted 11/23/2013 4:03:38 PM
its an ok price...I think u can get something similar for cheaper
#4NintendoMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 4:08:59 PM(edited)
DoramiPosted 11/23/2013 6:02:18

It will work fine for your purposes--as long as you do not need to use the battery for too long.

Personally, I would not go for a 3000 series processor at this point, but if you can't find one you like with a 4000 series processor, then so be it.

QUIKPosted 11/23/2013 6:03:38

its an ok price...I think u can get something similar for cheaper

I didn't look too hard at the processor, I'm definitely open for suggestions as long as they don't go too outside of that price range.
---
#5DoramiPosted 11/23/2013 6:36:34 PM
How important are touchscreens?

Do you have any preference for size or weight class?

These are rather personal choices and do not necessarily follow from what you're trying to do with the laptop.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#6NintendoMaster(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 8:04:24 PM
Dorami posted...

These are rather personal choices and do not necessarily follow from what you're trying to do with the laptop.

Touchscreens- Couldn't care less if it was a touch screen. I'm fine with the traditional mouse

Weight- Right now my Dell is like having a car sitting in your lap. It doesn't need to be as light as a piece of paper, but I def. don't want it too heavy (hope that helps)

Size- I'd like to not go under 14" screen size

Sorry for the late response.
---
#7DoramiPosted 11/23/2013 8:30:36 PM(edited)
I am fond of recommending entry level business laptops for college students, because those laptops are made to get beat up by employees who do not care overly much about what happens to company assets--something that describes college students surprisingly well. But you're going to pay some premium for business features that do not apply to you, such as vPro.

If you're willing to go up to $600, the Latitude E3440 and E3540 are worth considering (for Latitudes, the first number is the series class--higher is fancier; the second number is the screen size; the third number is the generation).

Have you checked with your campus store/IT to see whether you have any college discounts? Those might get you enough discounts from the manufacturer such that it's better to buy from them than Amazon.
---
#8ATARIJAWAPosted 11/23/2013 10:16:03 PM
NintendoMaster posted...
Dorami posted...

Touchscreens- Couldn't care less if it was a touch screen. I'm fine with the traditional mouse

Weight- Right now my Dell is like having a car sitting in your lap. It doesn't need to be as light as a piece of paper, but I def. don't want it too heavy (hope that helps)

It's fine as long as you're ok with the 720p resolution.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#9cancerstormPosted 11/23/2013 10:47:14 PM
ATARIJAWA posted...
NintendoMaster posted...
Dorami posted...

It's fine as long as you're ok with the 720p resolution.

i don't think you can find any new laptop with a 1080p screen for under $800

vivobook build quality ispretty good in that price range for consumer laptops. thinkpad edge is under $600 and is solid. get a 128 gb or 256 gb ssd during black friday, swap out the hdd in whatever new laptop you get. use the hdd as an external
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#10DoramiPosted 11/24/2013 1:03:30 AM(edited)
The y410p can get up to 900p for just under $800, though for TC's needs, I definitely would not recommend that model--heavy, low battery life, runs hot. For similar reasons, I doubt TC would want the Inspiron 17R for the 900p resolution.

The Dell Venue 11 Pro is at $500 for a 1080p screen, though with that screen size, you'll be using it as a 540p screen with scaling instead of taking advantage of the screen real estate. You'll also need to buy the keyboard separately for $100-130, depending on whether you want the flex cover or hard dock.

I do not recommend Thinkpad Edge (relabled as E). They are IdeaPads with the Thinkpad branding and customer support--much lower qualify than the true Thinkpads.
---