This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are their always Nvidia Driver Updates?

#1QUIKPosted 11/23/2013 3:58:54 PM
I don't get something, almost every time a new game is released, their is a new driver update for my nvidia graphics card and the driver update sais that it helps run a certain newly released game 10%-20% better. It makes me wonder... What if a new game is released and nvidia has a new video card on the market that they want to sell, so they stop releasing certain driver update for the slightly older cards so that people think that their video card is getting old because it cant run this new game on max or ultra settings, so they think so I might need to upgrade my graphics card? Is that something that is impossible for them to do?
#2VIP86Posted 11/23/2013 4:04:12 PM
Well nVidia still updates drives for the 600 series. Don't know about 500 or even 400.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#3dekouPosted 11/23/2013 4:06:13 PM
They release updates because they're evil. They also deliberately gimp their older cards to make AMD look better. I've got a source. My cousin's friend who works for NVidia told him even a GTX 460 could max Crysis 3, but the card was deliberately slowed down by evil drivers.
#4steveboblarryPosted 11/23/2013 4:08:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5QUIK(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 4:09:10 PM
dekou posted...
They release updates because they're evil. They also deliberately gimp their older cards to make AMD look better. I've got a source. My cousin's friend who works for NVidia told him even a GTX 460 could max Crysis 3, but the card was deliberately slowed down by evil drivers.

A. You sound sarcastic, which I have never seen on these boards so that's cool.
B. I didn't say evil, its a business after all. Is it not possible for them to make certain drivers to run games differently on certain video cards to get people to think, I need to buy the newer video cards?
#6dekouPosted 11/23/2013 4:16:55 PM
It's possible, but it wouldn't make much sense. The gaming GPU market is quite competitive, despite there only being two companies making them. Besides, people work with those drivers and manipulation like that would most likely not go unnoticed.
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/23/2013 4:19:47 PM(edited)
You could argue they already do it on some of their products, taking out things so that they perform worse even though they could have been added without any significant increase in production cost (to make a product that falls into a certain performance/price bracket).

However, they usually keep supporting cards with drivers for years. The driver that they released earlier this week for example, which improves BF4 performance among other things, is also used as the driver for the 600 series, 500 series, 400 series etc. all the way back to the 8 series (8800 GT etc.) which released in 2007 somewhere if I am not mistaken.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8GhennkinsPosted 11/23/2013 4:22:05 PM
I've been using old nvidia drivers forever (bout a year and a few months) because the new ones crash constantly and I have to hard power off my pc to fix it. Still as of yet fixed. Yes they have been aware of the issue for a long time now.

Good job nvidia.
#9Combo MasterPosted 11/23/2013 4:22:56 PM(edited)
Why would they still make driver updates for the older cards if this was the case?? Do you even think about your point your making before you post it
---
Combo Master
#10EciDemonPosted 11/23/2013 4:28:59 PM
From one version to another there's usually not much of a performance gain. If you look at the release notes pdf you'll see it's always compared to a much earlier driver set. You'll also notice the gains usually goes from the latest down to the 400 series of cards.

They release new drivers often to give you the best possible experience with newly released games and adding sli/3dvision profiles and fixing possible bugs.

Drivers from nvidia has always been frequent and from time to time there is a good performance boost and it's been like this ever since the Riva TNT cards. Remember the Detonator drivers?. The performance gain was huge.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |