This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are their always Nvidia Driver Updates?

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/23/2013 4:29:35 PM
QUIK posted...
I don't get something, almost every time a new game is released, their is a new driver update for my nvidia graphics card and the driver update sais that it helps run a certain newly released game 10%-20% better. It makes me wonder... What if a new game is released and nvidia has a new video card on the market that they want to sell, so they stop releasing certain driver update for the slightly older cards so that people think that their video card is getting old because it cant run this new game on max or ultra settings, so they think so I might need to upgrade my graphics card? Is that something that is impossible for them to do?

Of course it's possible. That's exactly what AMD's been doing for ages.
nVidia generally has really good support for older GPUs, though. GeForce 7000 series was supported for, what, 6 or 7 years, even though it had no unified shaders? GeForce 8 series is 7 now, and still going strong?
---
Even people have toenails. Of course PCs have toenails. -claytonbuckley
#12QUIK(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 4:31:15 PM
Combo Master posted...
Why would they still make driver updates for the older cards if this was the case?? Do you even think about your point your making before you post it

Again this is just a thought it does sound kind of crazy but to answer your question, so that people can say hey they are still supporting my video card with drivers but its still not running the game as smooth as I would like, let me go and upgrade to the best/newest card.
#13godplaysSNESPosted 11/23/2013 4:33:01 PM
At some point, the drivers just get bug fixes.

The 700 series still has similarities down to the 400 series though, so performance improvements tend to carry over to some extent
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#14DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/23/2013 4:37:53 PM
godplaysSNES posted...

The 700 series still has similarities down to the 400 series though, so performance improvements tend to carry over to some extent

While this is the case, I found that even with the GeForce 7000 series, driver updates all the way up to Fermi could sometimes show performance improvements in games.
It really depends on what was done to improve performance. Updating a game specific profile, for example, could easily affect every card playing that game with that driver version. On the other hand, many of the performance improvements actually come from adjusting how the driver interacts with the hardware, which will vary greatly from card to card.
---
#15godplaysSNESPosted 11/24/2013 9:04:07 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

While this is the case, I found that even with the GeForce 7000 series, driver updates all the way up to Fermi could sometimes show performance improvements in games.
It really depends on what was done to improve performance. Updating a game specific profile, for example, could easily affect every card playing that game with that driver version. On the other hand, many of the performance improvements actually come from adjusting how the driver interacts with the hardware, which will vary greatly from card to card.

That's good to know. I've had thoughts about doing some driver benchmarks on a 6600GT and 8800GT, but I'm just too lazy.

It irritates me greatly that AMD abandons their older cards so fast. They did it both for their DX9 and DX10/10.1 cards. The x1900 series and HD 4000 series specifically were still ok cards and should have been supported for longer.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#16y3kmanPosted 11/24/2013 9:32:44 AM
VIP86 posted...
Well nVidia still updates drives for the 600 series. Don't know about 500 or even 400.

314.22 was the last stable driver for my GTX 560.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6997-7741 ; PSN: y3kman
Currently playing: Senran Kagura
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/24/2013 11:44:09 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

That's good to know. I've had thoughts about doing some driver benchmarks on a 6600GT and 8800GT, but I'm just too lazy.

It irritates me greatly that AMD abandons their older cards so fast. They did it both for their DX9 and DX10/10.1 cards. The x1900 series and HD 4000 series specifically were still ok cards and should have been supported for longer.

Are they still supporting the 5 and 6 series in terms of performance??
I think that'd be a new record for AMD.
---