This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help on how to apply thermal paste onto a Lenovo Y580 Laptop

#1Dieselzone32450Posted 11/23/2013 5:36:33 PM
Any tips or advice on how to do so? Been trying to look for guides on how to do so on a lenovo y580, but have been unable to find out info on how to do so. i've only seen guides for different models.

Would it be wise to use those models as a reference to apply thermal paste on a Y580? And it's best to apply them on both the gpu and cpu, right?

I've never applied thermal paste before, so bear with me.

Thermal Paste I have: Arctic MX-4.
---
If you take the Sensui hype as 100% true then, 20% of Sensui =SSJ3 Goku. -Knowledge King
#2TheWayOfTheGunPosted 11/23/2013 5:41:08 PM(edited)
I have a Y580 and so I must ask, why are you doing this? Are you actually trying to replace the factory ivy-bridge CPU? If so, why?

You don't need thermal paste on the Y580. Just make sure it gets proper ventilation.

---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#3Dieselzone32450(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 5:55:58 PM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
I have a Y580 and so I must ask, why are you doing this? Are you actually trying to replace the factory ivy-bridge CPU? If so, why?

You don't need thermal paste on the Y580. Just make sure it gets proper ventilation.

Alright, I'll admit

Basically I've had an issue with my laptop (especially around the keyboard area ) getting pretty hot. Usually when I'm playing games , the upper part of it gets really hot. And while I am using a cooling pad
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPZJP7M/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It still feels a bit hot.

But more importantly, i've been using Dolphin and trying out a game. It plays at full speed at first, but then over time it starts slowing down massively. I asked on the special forums for Dolphin as to why the game slowed down, and the poster mentioned
Your CPU's probably overheating. Cooling pads don't do anything; you'd have to open the thing up, reapply better thermal paste, clean out any dust, poke a few holes to let heat escape, etc. to actually make a difference in the internal temperature.

There's this wonderful app called ThrottleStop that should stop the CPU from throttling itself, but I'm not sure if that's safe, or if there's a clockspeed lower than the max that won't cause heat to accumulate. Either way, try it out; if it overheats enough to shut itself off, try a lower clockspeed.

So I thought that my laptop wouldn't get as hot anymore or have any heat or slowdown issues when it came to games if I used thermal paste.
The laptop(which is on top of the cooling pad is on my table. Are there any better ways to get better ventilation?

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do? Because i'm open to suggestions.
---
If you take the Sensui hype as 100% true then, 20% of Sensui =SSJ3 Goku. -Knowledge King
#4TheWayOfTheGunPosted 11/23/2013 6:03:26 PM
Thermal paste won't make that heat magically disappear. It will however, transfer more heat to the heatsink and thus, take some degrees off the processor.

The heat is still there though. Is your CPU shutting off from the heat or are you just uncomfortable with the amount of heat blown out the vents?
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#5_Marka_Ragnos_Posted 11/23/2013 8:26:35 PM(edited)
I highly recommend not messing with changing the thermal paste on a laptop unless you really know what you are doing. The laptop CPU will already have thermal paste on it from the manufacturer, so you would need to scrape that paste off before applying your new paste for almost definitely very minimal gain.

Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that laptops are not meant for things like this. I'd say only the highest end Sagers, MSis or Alienwares would have cooling sufficient for that kind of emulation.
---
i5 4670k| 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3| EVGA GTX 780|Alienware m17x
http://i.imgur.com/j8vZrBQ.jpg