This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ATT: System Administrators...

#1rabbi_babyPosted 11/23/2013 8:44:06 PM
How many of you actually fix things? Jesus christ. I've gone through 3 in my time at this company who have absoutley no idea what they were doing. All they did was sit on the phone with vendors getting them to fix ****.

Is i that if you're of age (like 40+), and still a sysadmin and havn't specialized in a particular field outside of basic BS enduser support, you're a dolt who's achieved everything you can in life? Or are you just a lazy, unambitious, dullard who doesn't care?
---
TT Level 10 GT Snow Edition| i5 3570k w/ Corsair H100i | 2x XFX 7950 | 32GB DDR3 2400 | MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt| Corsair AX1200i | 512GB 840 Pro | 2TB WD Green
#2wizardmonPosted 11/23/2013 8:59:05 PM
As a dishwasher I've taken it upon myself to fix tech problems for the cantina I work at without asking anyone permission first.

We actually don't have a on-hand IT crew of any kind and we call the corporate goons to come and fix crap all the time. Although rule of thumb is: If you see something broken, you fix it providing you think you know how.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3noz3r0Posted 11/23/2013 9:08:29 PM
1. Get Certs
2. Have no idea what you are actually supposed to do.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Too many people in the IT world do this. I have certs but I actually know what I'm doing because I learned the job before I got the certs. I know how you feel you though, I work with Net Admins that don't understand the difference between layer 2 and 3, lack subnetting knowledge.
---
http://www.facebook.com/noz3r0
Prolific Contributor:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/32351.html
#4rabbi_baby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 9:13:25 PM
My MPLS doesn't work correctly because my sysadmin doesn't know how to increase the ip scope...and i'm not allowed to fix it.

I had to sneak into work today fix the vlan settings and fix the switch stack, because one of our switches died this week and he didn't know how to add in the replacement switch to the current setup.
---
TT Level 10 GT Snow Edition| i5 3570k w/ Corsair H100i | 2x XFX 7950 | 32GB DDR3 2400 | MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt| Corsair AX1200i | 512GB 840 Pro | 2TB WD Green
#5Digital StormPosted 11/23/2013 9:22:38 PM
If you think you know more than the people doing the job you should have applied for the job yourself.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#6rabbi_baby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 9:27:25 PM
Digital Storm posted...
If you think you know more than the people doing the job you should have applied for the job yourself.

My first sysadmin was a freaking smart dude. (which is why he's now doing an awesome job for espn). I'm still working here and his replacements are just stupid. Management has it in their head that if you are not middle aged, then you don't qualify for a "management" position such as a sysadmin (they consider it to be as such for some stupid reason).

I did their job for the 4 months in between the time the first one quit, and the dolts started getting hired. Upper management was happy with how things ran, but I was overburdened providing support for a 200+ person company by myself. Instead of hiring someone to be a counterpart for me, they wanted someone who was gonna be a "sysadmin manager".
---
#7MakeHatePosted 11/23/2013 9:37:24 PM
rabbi_baby posted...
Digital Storm posted...

My first sysadmin was a freaking smart dude. (which is why he's now doing an awesome job for espn). I'm still working here and his replacements are just stupid. Management has it in their head that if you are not middle aged, then you don't qualify for a "management" position such as a sysadmin (they consider it to be as such for some stupid reason).

I did their job for the 4 months in between the time the first one quit, and the dolts started getting hired. Upper management was happy with how things ran, but I was overburdened providing support for a 200+ person company by myself. Instead of hiring someone to be a counterpart for me, they wanted someone who was gonna be a "sysadmin manager".

Perhaps its your attitude that keeps you from moving up...
---
"but you still have to use a keyboard which was made for word processing back in the early 90s with MSdos" -The_Big_Deek
#8rabbi_baby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 9:39:13 PM
MakeHate posted...
rabbi_baby posted...
Digital Storm posted...

Could be. I don't even care about moving up. I don't plan on being with the company for more than another few months anyway. I'm more frustrated about the ding dongs they're hiring which make my day to day more difficult.
---
#9ATARIJAWAPosted 11/23/2013 9:50:08 PM
MakeHate posted...
rabbi_baby posted...
Digital Storm posted...

ESPN is a pretty crappy company to work for. They don't pay much and Bristol CT is in the middle of nowhere.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#10rabbi_baby(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 9:53:07 PM(edited)
ATARIJAWA posted...
MakeHate posted...
rabbi_baby posted...
Digital Storm posted...

ESPN is a pretty crappy company to work for. They don't pay much and Bristol CT is in the middle of nowhere.

I hate myself for saying it, but haters gonna hate.

EDIT: Also, are you a fellow connecticutite?

I'm out of seymour over here.
---