This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Building your own gaming pc

#11ArkonBladePosted 11/23/2013 11:36:50 PM
If you don't know what you are doing you should take the time to learn. Its not as hard as it most people who don't know about PC;s think it is. Building a PC is like putting lego's together. Its Knowing what parts to put in and figuring out what's what. Like for me I couldn't figure out how to tell what graphics card was better then another. had a friend explain it to me and it was " OH! ok that makes sense"

Really the best way to learn is watch Youtube Vids, ask friends that know about this stuff if you have them . Hell there is a guide I think on Gamefaqs. It wont take you that long to figure it all out. Trust me I was in the same boat not long ago. the idea of building a PC was a idea I didn't even want to get in to. It just sounded to complicated at the time.

Also if you know some one who knows how to build a PC can try asking them to give you a hand. I had that option myself but decided in the end I should build it my self.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#12doctoglethorpePosted 11/23/2013 11:58:37 PM
Kainstryder posted...
Buy prebuilt if you dont know what your doing. But if you build it yourself, you'll pay cheaper, higher quality products.

Correction, build it yourself even if you don't know what you're doing. Use the internets to educate yourself. Don't pay a huge premium just to remain ignorant. If everybody only did what they already knew how to do we would never stop crapping our pants and sucking our mothers teets.
#13doctoglethorpePosted 11/24/2013 12:06:24 AM
ArkonBlade posted...

Also if you know some one who knows how to build a PC can try asking them to give you a hand. I had that option myself but decided in the end I should build it my self.

I actually went that rout on my first build and regretted it cause my friend kind of took over the process. He assembled pc's for a job once so he did it quick and mindlessly while I just stood there like "uh.. um.. ok, I could do that but whatever". Ironically, what I really wanted his help with was the troubleshooting which I was a little afraid to go in to, but I ended up doing most of that myself. All good in the end though.
#14Skul_Posted 11/26/2013 8:23:00 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
PcGaMeRMARLEY posted...
Alienware has good computers though? But anyways I understand what you mean.

Alienware actually isn't bad and sometimes it seems like they have stuff that no one else has. I heard their military discounts are pretty good, too.

However, they can be pretty stupidly expensive. And they are owned by Dell now. Unless you're aiming for ultra-high end, there's always a few other brands that make stuff just as good for much cheaper.

Alienware actually is bad though.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#15fuzzymanPosted 11/26/2013 8:33:57 PM
the only thing alienware makes well are the notebooks, and there aren't many options to begin with
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg
#16Flaktrooper123Posted 11/26/2013 8:43:32 PM
Let me get this clear

If you buy factory prebuild

The Good
- Get in action immediately, everything already installed
- If you have a warranty claim, you only have to call one company rather then getting confused who to call

The Bad
- For some companies, opening up the case yourself will void the warranty
- You waste money on lower quality parts, and you basically don't know what is in there
- If you are really unlucky, you might be buying discontinued line of product which they no longer support. No BIOS upgrade, etc. It happened to me

So I suggest, don't buy factory prebuild. If you want prebuild, get a prebuild that is done by the store instead, since they will be using items that otherwise you can build yourself with. Just make some modification if necessary. I am not sure if this service is available where you live though.
#17Ivany2008Posted 11/26/2013 9:55:59 PM
yeah.....lol

several years ago I brought my Dell laptop to the pc repair guys down the street and they said they couldn't look at it as it would null the warranty. I said its ok, I don't care about the warranty, it was nearly up and I was going to replace soon enough anyways. Then after they looked at it, they couldn't do anything with it as it was all dell parts which no store at the time would carry.

Best off building your own, save yourself a couple hundred bucks, and have the option to take it to a repair store if it gets broken, or infected with a virus you can't solve yourself
#18_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/27/2013 4:12:04 AM(edited)
If you plan to be gaming on the PC now and in the future, imo you are better off spending some time learning and researching things and building your own.

It is not just elitist nonsense. There are several problems with prebuilds
-They often charge a large premium compared to building your own
-Only specialized shops sell systems that could really be considered "gaming PC's"
-They often try to get away with including subpar components, such as the HDD or PSU from a no-name or inhouse brand.
-If you do not build it yourself, it will be hard to maintenance and upgrade it when necessary

If you do have to buy pre-build, then buy it from a shop that puts quality parts together for a fee, rather than buying a brand factorybuilt system.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#19SlaynPosted 11/27/2013 4:30:21 AM
The more expensive the computer, the more you pay for a pre built.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505