This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If you could make your own "Ultimate Keyboard", what would it look like?

#1KamenRiderBladePosted 11/24/2013 3:20:34 AM
Just curious since everybody seems to have a different idea as to what their ultimate keyboard would be?
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#2KamenRiderBlade(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2013 3:21:26 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3YoungAdultLinkPosted 11/24/2013 3:31:39 AM
You know the old IBM Model M? Or those plain grey/off white keyboards that were so standard in the 90s? Yeah, one of those. I actually use one. Every so often I look at how much a genuine Model M with a PS/2 cable costs and then say, "Nah, I can do without a mechanical."

That's for gaming, of course. If it were for typing, I'd want a scissor switch keyboard with mechanical keyswitches, if only for longevity's sake. With a really short stroke. I far prefer a scissor switch keyboard for typing, I like how the shorter keycaps feel, with the minute gaps in between.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/24/2013 4:19:55 AM
It would be a tenkeyless format (I tried compact 60% keyboards but could never quite make the switch). It would be Cherry MX Browns (tried Topre but was disappointed). The stabilizers would have to be Costar. Switches would be platemounted. It would be fully programmable. It would have no backlight, but OEM (not Cherry) height PBT keycaps with with dye sublimation legends (not printed or laser etched).

The color-scheme would be Dolch, including the color of the green accent on the Dolch logo/sticker
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/DarthLars/Keyboard/DolchPAC-62keyboard.jpg
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5FeatherwindPosted 11/24/2013 4:24:08 AM
I want a keyboard that doesn't have the num pad or arrow/navigation/print screen & scroll lock section. Like Quickfire TK without the TK section. With Cherry MX Red switches.
---
pathological
#6Rolen47Posted 11/24/2013 4:27:31 AM
I would just change the numpad to be in the same order as a phone. It's really annoying how someone way back decided that phones and calculators should have the numbers arranged differently.
#7johnny_payPosted 11/24/2013 7:28:01 AM
it would come in 3 parts that could all click together to make 1 keyboard, you would have half the keys on one part, the other half on a second part and then the numpad on a third part. it would be mechanical but come in all different colour switches. it would have side printed keys. come in a wide range of colours and on the website would have a make your own colour scheme option that would cost like 20 more.
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/24/2013 9:02:10 AM
Featherwind posted...
I want a keyboard that doesn't have the num pad or arrow/navigation/print screen & scroll lock section. Like Quickfire TK without the TK section. With Cherry MX Red switches.

These exist. Look up 60% keyboards. Examples are the KBT Pure pro and Happy Hacking pro 2 keyboard. That former can be found fairly cheap, the latter is pretty expensive.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/24/2013 9:05:32 AM(edited)
Rolen47 posted...
I would just change the numpad to be in the same order as a phone. It's really annoying how someone way back decided that phones and calculators should have the numbers arranged differently.

In a lot of keyboards, this is easy to do yourself. You can use something like keytweak to change what every key does, and take off the keycaps to rearrange them.
---
#10AlleRacingPosted 11/24/2013 9:31:18 AM
Made out of black aluminum, low profile keycaps with no lettering on them, subtle dedicated media controls, no branding whatsoever, and no arrow keys or insert->page down at all.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg