This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody know anything about TVs?

#1SiR_FoXPosted 11/24/2013 1:44:12 PM
Looking to buy a new TV for my living room on black friday/cyber monday. I think this will be the best time to get a good deal. I was thinking like a 55", with a budget of around $1000. Can anybody give me some advice or suggestions as for what I should be looking for? LED vs LCD vs Plasma. Refresh rate, smart tv, 3D... etc. I haven't really been keeping up with TV technology so any help with links or personal experience would be really appreciated. I do like the idea of a smart TV so I can stream netflix without any peripherals. Also if you can help me with some brand awareness....

Thanks guys.
---
"A cornered Fox is more dangerous than a Jackal" - Grey Fox
#2EciDemonPosted 11/24/2013 1:57:44 PM
led and lcd is the same thing (same type of display, different backlight though I think most is led these days), don't be suckerd in by 120hz or 240hz nonsense as it's marketing bull, tv's are nothing of the sort and will only accept 60hz signals. It's frame interpolation and adds latency so it's not good for gaming.
Stay away from LG, as it's been shown those tv's log and report on what you're doing and what files are on your usb storage you use with the tv.

When looking at response time, look for white to black timing. Gray to gray is meaningless marketing bull and can not be compared tv to tv as there's never any reference given. Reviews tend to give you the accurate numbers here.
Contrast ration should be taken with a grain of salt as it often involves some kind of dynamic contrast setting which is usually horrible to use anyways so likewise, look for reviews.

That should cover most of the traps i think.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#3Ivany2008Posted 11/24/2013 2:05:32 PM
I don't know much about tvs, but do some shopping around.

3D, 55 inches, big names will all net you a much higher price. For example, I got mine for X-mas a couple years ago and its a Toshiba 46 inch LCD and it works out fairly well. Granted its not the be all end all of tvs at the time but it gets the job done.

The larger the screen, the more things your going to be adding on to it to make it "look nice" when its powered on. I'd toss out Plasma right away. Sure they have done a few things recently to make it less troublesome than it was in the past, but its still got issues. Its hard to decide between LED and LCD, and I've read that LED LCD TVs are pretty decent

A 50 inch television comes out to about 900 bucks online via amazon though I don't know the quality of the product.
#4exclusiveburnerPosted 11/24/2013 2:47:21 PM
LG is a great brand, they are not spying on you don't believe that crap! I have a 47" LG LM7600...love it...bought it for a $1000 new on sale last year. Hasn't hiccuped once. The TV has had at least five software updates since I got it. The only thing LG looks at is the type of media files you play, mp3, wma, avi, mpg, etc.. and how long you've played them. This guy acts as if LG is going to get him for piracy.... And for the record the latest firmware update no longer tracks what files you play off your USB cards...

If I was in the market for another TV, I'd buy LG again.
#5EciDemonPosted 11/24/2013 3:08:53 PM
exclusiveburner posted...
LG is a great brand, they are not spying on you don't believe that crap! I have a 47" LG LM7600...love it...bought it for a $1000 new on sale last year. Hasn't hiccuped once. The TV has had at least five software updates since I got it. The only thing LG looks at is the type of media files you play, mp3, wma, avi, mpg, etc.. and how long you've played them. This guy acts as if LG is going to get him for piracy.... And for the record the latest firmware update no longer tracks what files you play off your USB cards...

It's been all over the news recently.

http://doctorbeet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/lg-smart-tvs-logging-usb-filenames-and.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/22/lg_tv_spying_statement/
here's the proof and guy who found it.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#6thatfool12GsPosted 11/24/2013 4:46:29 PM
exclusiveburner posted...

LMAO, oh no, LG has record that I watched TV and played games!!
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU