This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got questions about transferring stuff from full HDD to new/bigger HDD and more

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Got questions about transferring stuff from full HDD to new/bigger HDD and more
2 years ago#1
I'm gonna explain my situation first before asking questions. I almost run out of space on my 500 GB HDD and I'm gonna buy a 2TB HDD on black friday/cyber monday. I also plan on buying a 500 GB SSD. I would get the 1TB one but I heard it's not a good idea to put every single thing on a SSD which is what I would've done so that's why I'm buying the 2TB HDD. Ok so here are my questions:

-When I get my 2TB HDD and put it in my PC would I have to drag and drop everything or is there an easy way to transfer everything from my old HDD to the new one?

-I'm using a CoolerMaster Black HAF 912 case. I had to take out the HDD case so I could fit my recently bought 770 but if I remember correctly, without the extra HDD slots with the HDD cage, I could only fit two HDD/SSD. My plan is to first transfer all the stuff from my old HDD to the new one, put my old 500GB HD somewhere to save for the future just in case I need more room, then put in the SSD and install the OS on it and use it as my main drive. Would there be any problems doing this?

-What are the things I should and shouldn't put on SSDs?

-Is the Samsung 840 evo the best SSD to get now?

-Can you guys recommend me a good HDD?
2 years ago#2
bump
2 years ago#3
With the 912, you can always put the SSD in the bottom 2.5" bay, then put the two HDDs in the two remaining 3.5" bays.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
2 years ago#4
- There are programs for cloning drives, but if you're not copying your OS, I'd just drag and drop what you want to keep, and format when you're done.

- Seems okay to me

- OS and most commonly used programs. I put Steam on mine, but I put my game library on my HDD, and I use Steammover to move games back and forth between the SSD and HDD. If you're getting a 500GB SSD, though, you may not need to worry about this, since you'll have a ton of room.

- That's what I'd buy, were I in the market for an SSD

- Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Caviar Black
---
*under construction*
2 years ago#5
How would I transfer games from Steam, Origin, Ubisoft's horrible ass version of steam(forgot what it's called) so I can transfer my only game on it, FC3, to my SSD? Also is this a good way to do things in this order?

Drag and drop important files/other files I want to keep from old HDD to new HDD, install OS on SSD, transfer games to SSD then format old HDD
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Got questions about transferring stuff from full HDD to new/bigger HDD and more

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived