This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: How long until we see Viable Consumer Quantum Computers?

#11Orestes417Posted 11/25/2013 1:13:30 PM
Spacewhizguy posted...
WyzeGye posted...
If google is involved with something, it's on the fast track to consumer accessibility. So the 16-25 year window seems most likely.

Lol wut? The only thing they've made more accessible is search. They have a pretty poor track record when it comes to innovating in the consumer space.

Might want to take a long hard look at the smartphone market. Google's one of the few companies out there with the right sort of presence to help mainstream newer tech. Granted they're no Apple in that regards but they've certainly got a better shot than MS and it's associated OEMs.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#12EciDemonPosted 11/25/2013 1:43:15 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Spacewhizguy posted...
WyzeGye posted...
If google is involved with something, it's on the fast track to consumer accessibility. So the 16-25 year window seems most likely.

Lol wut? The only thing they've made more accessible is search. They have a pretty poor track record when it comes to innovating in the consumer space.

Might want to take a long hard look at the smartphone market. Google's one of the few companies out there with the right sort of presence to help mainstream newer tech. Granted they're no Apple in that regards but they've certainly got a better shot than MS and it's associated OEMs.

Looking at android phones they seem pretty innovative and android is leaps and bounds ahead of ios these days in terms of features and integration. But then again, that's not Google, that's a result of healthy competition and community effort.

Anyways, D-Wave Systems makes quantum computers today but I've no idea how viable they are as of yet.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion |
#13arleasPosted 11/25/2013 2:30:14 PM
They may make Quantum computers for home use in 50 years, but I can't imagine them packing it into a small enough package to be portable for a long while. Also, there's not a whole lot of use for the common person anyway. Most of the usefulness of that quantum bit would be in stuff like weather forecasting, code breaking, any kind of computation where a lot of possibilities exist... It's not like we're gonna really need that for games and stuff, though I imagine they could make one awesome AI with quantum computing.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
#14Orestes417Posted 11/25/2013 2:38:22 PM
It's not really about innovation, it's about marketing and supply chains.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#15chase1234life(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2013 6:01:11 PM
Bump.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#16galfasanta1111Posted 11/25/2013 6:26:48 PM
arleas posted...
They may make Quantum computers for home use in 50 years, but I can't imagine them packing it into a small enough package to be portable for a long while. Also, there's not a whole lot of use for the common person anyway. Most of the usefulness of that quantum bit would be in stuff like weather forecasting, code breaking, any kind of computation where a lot of possibilities exist... It's not like we're gonna really need that for games and stuff, though I imagine they could make one awesome AI with quantum computing.

A quantum storage device would be really helpful for storing my pr0n collection.
---
i7 3930k @ 3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 780 3GB SC'D | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 875W
#17SpacewhizguyPosted 11/25/2013 11:24:35 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Might want to take a long hard look at the smartphone market.

Ya. Apple did a good job transforming that industry.
---
What's a sig?
#18PolarisPosted 11/25/2013 11:54:10 PM
Quantum computers aren't for solving all kinds of problems, only certain kinds. They do fuzzy math ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_mathematics ) much better than conventional computers, however they do not handle traditional mathematics very well. Conventional computers have rather opposite properties.

I think it is unlikely for consumer devices to go quantum simply because there is not much benefit even if the technology does become cheap. If there is some way of integrating quantum and digital technology into the same SoC then there might be a part of the chip reserved for qubits, but I doubt such a technology could exist. We will probably find something even better instead. (so still a no-go on quantum)
#19fire2boxPosted 11/26/2013 12:29:17 AM
16 to 25 years sounds right, at a minimum at least.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039