This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any news on Doom 4?

#11Abiz_Posted 11/25/2013 4:35:03 PM
JKatarn posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
30aught6 posted...
Steamster posted...

Lol Carmack

Romero left ages ago. Doom's been doomed.

This. Seriously. People need to stop worshiping Carmack. He was the programmer. Romero and the others gave those games their soul.

And without Carmack's tech there would be no Id games - each were equally important.

Carmack's tech gave us Rage and not a single damn was given.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#12Orestes417Posted 11/25/2013 5:32:06 PM
Going to be honest here, a DOOM sequel does not need to happen ever again. For that matter DOOM 3 shouldn't have happened. The only way I'd be behind it is if they went full retro and literally built a new one in the style of the originals.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#13JKatarnPosted 11/25/2013 5:51:07 PM
Abiz_ posted...
JKatarn posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
30aught6 posted...
Steamster posted...

Lol Carmack

This. Seriously. People need to stop worshiping Carmack. He was the programmer. Romero and the others gave those games their soul.

And without Carmack's tech there would be no Id games - each were equally important.

Carmack's tech gave us Rage and not a single damn was given.

Yes, because I was obviously referring to the newest, somewhat flawed game/engine vs. the revolutionary Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake etc. engines - the of which the later series of engines was widely licensed, and became the basis of/a component of several popular game engines.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#14xanthan1Posted 11/25/2013 5:58:53 PM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
30aught6 posted...
Steamster posted...

Lol Carmack

No, not really. The guy who made the levels using the engine was much more important. They could just as easily have just used the BUILD Engine or something instead of the Doom engine, one of the first games using it was released the year after Doom. I'm sorry the idea that an engine is less important than the things that actually make a game good, like art direction, music, level design, etc, etc, is hard to get.
#15Abiz_Posted 11/25/2013 6:02:15 PM
JKatarn posted...

Yes, because I was obviously referring to the newest, somewhat flawed game/engine vs. the revolutionary Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake etc. engines - the of which the later series of engines was widely licensed, and became the basis of/a component of several popular game engines.

You are talking like he is the tops still. He isn't even competitive anymore and hasn't been for a long time.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#16JKatarnPosted 11/25/2013 6:45:47 PM
xanthan1 posted...
JKatarn posted...
PraetorXyn posted...
30aught6 posted...
Steamster posted...

Lol Carmack

No, not really. The guy who made the levels using the engine was much more important. They could just as easily have just used the BUILD Engine or something instead of the Doom engine, one of the first games using it was released the year after Doom. I'm sorry the idea that an engine is less important than the things that actually make a game good, like art direction, music, level design, etc, etc, is hard to get.

Lol, each are equally important - with a very limited engine, level designers are somewhat hamstrung creatively, and without quality game design etc. the engine won't shine, sorry that's so hard for you to get.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#17The cranky hermitPosted 11/25/2013 7:09:11 PM
Did you not read the point you quoted, or are you suggesting that Build is a very limited engine?

That said, I would ask if, were it not for Doom, Build would have been half as impressive as it was. Also that said, I find Doom engine games to be a lot more fluid than Build engine games, even if Build looks more impressive on paper (pre-Polymer Duke3D can make me feel sick).
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#18JKatarnPosted 11/25/2013 10:38:06 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Did you not read the point you quoted, or are you suggesting that Build is a very limited engine?

That said, I would ask if, were it not for Doom, Build would have been half as impressive as it was. Also that said, I find Doom engine games to be a lot more fluid than Build engine games, even if Build looks more impressive on paper (pre-Polymer Duke3D can make me feel sick).

I was referring to game engines in general, not the Build engine specifically. While it was impressive for a 2.5D engine, and played host to some very fun FPS titles (namely Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior), it was overshadowed technically by the fully 3d Quake engine released the same year.
---
#19ATARIJAWAPosted 11/25/2013 10:44:42 PM
Wygun posted...
Carmack left ID some time ago. Doom is doomed.

3 days is some time ago? he had been working part time at oculus and part time at ID before that.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#20The cranky hermitPosted 11/26/2013 6:05:53 PM
I was referring to game engines in general, not the Build engine specifically.

No, you specifically said without Carmack's tech there would be no Id games. If we accept that Build could have existed without Carmack, and also accept that a Carmackless iD could have licensed Build (or another engine) and still created content for it, then the thing you said does not hold true.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!