This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a Space Sim/strategy/ship flying game

#1NeonYoshi11Posted 11/25/2013 3:18:05 PM
Been watching Battlestar Galactica and now I want to play a space game, but not sure which game/s I would like or which ones are actually worth playing.

* Galactic Civ 2 Ultimate edition for $20 on Steam looks appealing but not sure how the game is.

What are the space games out there worth playing?

I'm not sure if I want to just fly a ship or command a whole civ so I'm open to all options and suggestions.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0219-2969-7648
#2TheSchrefPosted 11/25/2013 3:24:42 PM(edited)
GalCiv 2 - Old 4x TBS game (lots of building your own ships and such if you choose to do so)
Sins of a Solar Empire - 4x semi-RTS game (primarily exterminate. I believe it has some ship building. Not sure.)

Edit: I misread. I thought it said ship building not ship flying. Ummm... I don't think there are many strategy games where you fly your own ship.
#3Ikari GendoPosted 11/25/2013 4:32:17 PM
X3: Albion Prelude
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#4LordOfLegaciesPosted 11/25/2013 5:07:37 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire for strategy. It's on a huge scale and you can control fleets of hundreds of ships from little missile frigates to giant capital ships with their own bays full of fighters and bombers.

X3: Terran Conflict for sim/ship flying. Hell of a learning curve but just watch a let's play on youtube of it to get an idea of how to start off. It pretty much hits what you're looking for right on the f***ing nose though. You start out with nothing and can work your way up to be a merchant king or THE military of the galaxy, or both. And lots of other stuff.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#5PraetorXynPosted 11/25/2013 5:25:06 PM
Star Citizen looks like it's going to be good.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#6NeonYoshi11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2013 11:54:01 PM
PraetorXyn posted...

when is that supposed to be released though?
---
#7NeonYoshi11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2013 11:55:53 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Sins of a Solar Empire for strategy. It's on a huge scale and you can control fleets of hundreds of ships from little missile frigates to giant capital ships with their own bays full of fighters and bombers.

X3: Terran Conflict for sim/ship flying. Hell of a learning curve but just watch a let's play on youtube of it to get an idea of how to start off. It pretty much hits what you're looking for right on the f***ing nose though. You start out with nothing and can work your way up to be a merchant king or THE military of the galaxy, or both. And lots of other stuff.

Is sins just a skirmish mode with only 3 civs but the games take 4-10 hours ?

I love the ability to create my own civ and ships in Galactic Civ 2, so kind of leaning towards that, but i may want to get more than 1 game.
---
#8TheSchrefPosted 11/26/2013 12:00:01 AM
NeonYoshi11 posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

Is sins just a skirmish mode with only 3 civs but the games take 4-10 hours ?

I love the ability to create my own civ and ships in Galactic Civ 2, so kind of leaning towards that, but i may want to get more than 1 game.

I can't speak to the length of games for Sins, but games for GalCiv 2 can be very, very long. It all depends on the options you choose.
#9akuma634Posted 11/26/2013 12:03:35 AM
NeonYoshi11 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

when is that supposed to be released though?

Not for a long time. Probably a year or two at the earliest.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#10CloudZ1116Posted 11/26/2013 12:05:40 AM
Freespace 2. For the love of God, if you're looking to do some flying, you need to play Freespace 2.
---
Intel Core i7 2600k | XFX Radeon HD 7950 | MSI P67A-G45 | Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 16GB | Crucial M4 128GB | WD Cavair Black 1TB | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W