This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More Pics and Info on Steam Machines.

#21GamerCzarPosted 11/26/2013 6:52:32 AM
EliteGuard99 posted...
and thus Steam, the devil himself, procured a son, and he would be called amongst the other consoles, Steam Machine. Steam Machine, like his father before him sets out to corrupt and destroy the Consoles and its population.

And with it the life of true gaming and ownership dies.......FOREVER.

Nice.
---
Currently taking Highschool via internet.
"And if being blunt makes me an ass, well then... I'm happy to be an ass :) "- Ozymandiass
#22godplaysSNESPosted 11/26/2013 6:56:24 AM
doctoglethorpe posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
The only apparent weakness compared to the consoles is that 2GB VRAM may be a bit on the low side going forwards

So you upgrade it.

Then it will be more expensive than 499 USD. But fair enough, one can argue that that's compensated by the free online on PC.

Valve really needs to announce their support for Mantle, Mantle could allow for capable and cheap Steam machines
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#23ClouddxPosted 11/26/2013 7:00:03 AM(edited)
godplaysSNES posted...
The only apparent weakness compared to the consoles is that 2GB VRAM may be a bit on the low side going forwards

That won't matter, as consoles won't go over 1080p anyways and at that resolution 2gb is more than enough.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#24claytonbuckleyPosted 11/26/2013 7:02:56 AM
pass

I'll build my own
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#25Rexdragon125Posted 11/26/2013 7:03:01 AM
The mobo and PSU have to be like $20 to make this happen. The PSU will catch fire as soon as the warranty runs out.
#26godplaysSNESPosted 11/26/2013 8:05:06 AM
Clouddx posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

That won't matter, as consoles won't go over 1080p anyways and at that resolution 2gb is more than enough.

For most of today's games, yes. But just like how 512MB and 1GB VRAM were enough a few years ago but isn't now, so will it be with 2GB VRAM
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#27TropicMoon10Posted 11/26/2013 8:07:52 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
For most of today's games, yes. But just like how 512MB and 1GB VRAM were enough a few years ago but isn't now, so will it be with 2GB VRAM

Which is why upgrading is important. By that time, when the Xbox One and PS4 will show signs of struggling with games (much like the 360 and PS3 are barely running modern games as is today), you can have the choice of spending a little more and ensuring good performance gaming for another couple of years to come.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#28SinisterSlayPosted 11/26/2013 8:08:17 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Clouddx posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

I imagine in a few years when it's not enough, you can upgrade the graphics card with a better one, that has the same or less power requirements. Since we can probably assume the power supply in that thing barely meets minimum.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#29arrseetee(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 12:14:59 PM
no more half measures...
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#30GoIrish80Posted 11/26/2013 1:58:36 PM(edited)
Ehhh....

I mean I get the intention, it's a noble idea, but I just can't help but wonder if this is what you really want to buy....why not just buy an Xbox/PS4?

The people who this is being marketed to don't want the things that make PC Gaming great. The ability to upgrade your machine at any time to get the highest graphic fidelity possible, and the ability to customize your machine, download mods, or whatever else that has to do with customization.

This is clearly being marketed towards the "plug and play" people, and what are you giving those people that's legitimately BETTER than what they know they can already get with an Xbox/PS4?

PC Gaming (Steam, nvidia, or whatever company you want to attach to it) should not be making an attempt to negate the strengths of the PC, they should be trying to champion them. When you make something like this, you're inferring that the things which make PC Gaming great are a problem.

How about an attempt to educate prospective PC Gamers on overcoming the general fears/stigmas that are attached to it? How about making a concerted effort to work with a company like Microsoft on making a REAL PC operating system with games in mind? I know they're going the Linux route, but surely people can understand how far Linux has to go to even be CLOSE to the mainstream acceptance/understanding that Windows has. Can you imagine how much that act alone would do for PC Gaming? Make a version of Windows that bare bones, optimized for gaming. You could cut the system requirements of a lot of games in half with that step by itself.

It's nice to see a company trying to get out in front of making PC Gaming bigger than what it is, because it's clear that PC Gaming does not have a Microsoft, a Sony, or a Nintendo to champion it. Any other company (Valve, Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, whoever) while they see PC Gaming as important, some more than others, also don't necessarily see PC Gaming as a priority of any kind. Valve is the one company that obviously has good reason to, so here they are trying. I'm just not sure that their attempts are being put towards the right things.

I do really want to try that controller though....
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2