This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

More Pics and Info on Steam Machines.

#31SinisterSlayPosted 11/26/2013 1:05:56 PM
GoIrish80 posted...
How about making a concerted effort to work with a company like Microsoft on making a REAL PC operating system with games in mind? I know they're going the Linux route, but surely people can understand how far Linux has to go to even be CLOSE to the mainstream acceptance/understanding that Windows has.

http://www.android.com/

With over 50% of the worlds smartphones running Linux.... I think Linux has become mainstream.
The other 50% run BSD, which for most discussions, is lumped in with Linux.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#32GoIrish80Posted 11/26/2013 1:08:33 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
GoIrish80 posted...
How about making a concerted effort to work with a company like Microsoft on making a REAL PC operating system with games in mind? I know they're going the Linux route, but surely people can understand how far Linux has to go to even be CLOSE to the mainstream acceptance/understanding that Windows has.

With over 50% of the worlds smartphones running Linux.... I think Linux has become mainstream.

And if you sat the "common" person down at a PC with Linux installed instead of Windows, their brain would explode within 30 seconds.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that's going to be a huge hurdle to overcome in the short term.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#33SinisterSlayPosted 11/26/2013 1:18:10 PM(edited)
GoIrish80 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
GoIrish80 posted...

And if you sat the "common" person down at a PC with Linux installed instead of Windows, their brain would explode within 30 seconds.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that's going to be a huge hurdle to overcome in the short term.

http://zorin-os.com/index.html
Zorin is a Linux OS designed to look and behave exactly like Windows. Right down to integrating Wine to run windows programs seamlessly.

But if I allow your excuse.... might explain why users hate Windows 8.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#34GoIrish80Posted 11/26/2013 1:20:28 PM
Not going to waste my time, because you're not interested in what the point of my opinion is. You think just because there are things out there which make something like Linux "easy" for people that they're just automatically going to use it and everything will happen exactly as you think it should. That's not how these things work. The PC layman does not look at "Zorin OS" or whatever other example you want to throw at me as something exciting and interesting for them to use. They look at it with confusion and skepticism. I'm not saying they're RIGHT, I'm just saying that's how it is.

You think you're right, and you think I'm a moron who should just go outside and shoot myself. Have fun living in your box where you think your point of view = the only point of view.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#35SinisterSlayPosted 11/26/2013 1:23:42 PM(edited)
GoIrish80 posted...
Not going to waste my time, because you're not interested in what the point of my opinion is. You think just because there are things out there which make something like Linux "easy" for people that they're just automatically going to use it and everything will happen exactly as you think it should. That's not how these things work. The PC layman does not look at "Zorin OS" or whatever other example you want to throw at me as something exciting and interesting for them to use. They look at it with confusion and skepticism. I'm not saying they're RIGHT, I'm just saying that's how it is.

You think you're right, and you think I'm a moron who should just go outside and shoot myself. Have fun living in your box where you think your point of view = the only point of view.

I don't think your a moron, I think your pessimistic.

People adopted Android and iOS. Why do you think it will never happen for desktops? People are even switching to Mac, where they lose all their programs (unlike Zorin which gives you a slight hope those old programs might work)
---
#36arleasPosted 11/26/2013 1:54:50 PM
People adopted Android and iOS. Why do you think it will never happen for desktops?

There really wasn't an established default presence on smartphones. It was anybody's game, and Android jumped in just in time to prevent iOS from being the "only choice" the way that windows is the only choice for gamers.

I don't think that it's impossible for desktops to change, but unless Microsoft royally screws up future OS's, it's going to be an uphill battle all the way to change that. It kinda looks like it's heading that way though (which is probably why Valve is pushing Linux as an alternative) but it really hasn't happened yet.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#37SinisterSlayPosted 11/26/2013 1:57:29 PM(edited)
arleas posted...
People adopted Android and iOS. Why do you think it will never happen for desktops?

There really wasn't an established default presence on smartphones. It was anybody's game, and Android jumped in just in time to prevent iOS from being the "only choice" the way that windows is the only choice for gamers.

I don't think that it's impossible for desktops to change, but unless Microsoft royally screws up future OS's, it's going to be an uphill battle all the way to change that. It kinda looks like it's heading that way though (which is probably why Valve is pushing Linux as an alternative) but it really hasn't happened yet.

I think you forget blackberry, which had a very firm hold on the smartphone market until Apple came out with an inferior product that had better marketing.
Though I admit Linux will never pull on windows what apple pulled on blackberry.

Microsoft has screwed up a few times now The potential is there. But history has shown Linux will fail to take advantage of it.

Steambox might be pretty good with windows installed.
---
#38TheGreatUnownPosted 11/26/2013 2:00:40 PM
Yombiee posted...
Why is there a dong engrained on the surface of the ibuypower's machine?

It's the Steam logo.
---
PSN: phantom_xii 3ds:1161 0212 6579 XBL:IronPatriot215
Wii U board in a nutshell: http://youtu.be/DJMnkrOeTvI?t=6m5s
#39VolebamusPosted 11/26/2013 2:11:07 PM
Wow, am I the only person really ecstatic about the price?

As long as the components are up to snuff (I'm looking at the CPU and PSU specifically...), we don't need to worry about recommendations for entry level gaming systems. For $500, this will easily be an actually comfortable budget recommendation, especially for people who keep saying they don't want to build their own. Of course, Windows could always be installed over the Steam OS as well if necessary.

It looks a great HTPC alternative as well.
---
(( It is of my own Volition to act as I have. ))
#40SinisterSlayPosted 11/27/2013 7:34:27 AM
Volebamus posted...
Wow, am I the only person really ecstatic about the price?

As long as the components are up to snuff (I'm looking at the CPU and PSU specifically...), we don't need to worry about recommendations for entry level gaming systems. For $500, this will easily be an actually comfortable budget recommendation, especially for people who keep saying they don't want to build their own. Of course, Windows could always be installed over the Steam OS as well if necessary.

It looks a great HTPC alternative as well.

I'm interested. I might get one since my gaming machine is seriously out dated now. I know some of my friends would too.
---