This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam Reviews is now a thing, and is in beta.

#11SUPER3METROIDXPosted 11/26/2013 3:02:12 AM
Reviews are good. Being able to vote on reviews however is not. Completely defeats the point of reviews and will just lead to opinions being silenced, especially with the way the forums can be.
Oh well, wasn't really expecting Steam to suddenly become a haven of intelligent game opinions so haven't really lost anything.
#12ClouddxPosted 11/26/2013 3:04:03 AM
SUPER3METROIDX posted...
Reviews are good. Being able to vote on reviews however is not. Completely defeats the point of reviews and will just lead to opinions being silenced, especially with the way the forums can be.
Oh well, wasn't really expecting Steam to suddenly become a haven of intelligent game opinions so haven't really lost anything.

Hopefully they make it so only people who own the game can UP/DOWN the reviews.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#13SUPER3METROIDXPosted 11/26/2013 3:10:03 AM
Buttdx posted...
SUPER3METROIDX posted...

Hopefully they make it so only people who own the game can UP/DOWN the reviews.

Hopefully, it definitely has merit just will probably need some tweaking and it is still just a beta so nothing is final. Still, I'm not too keen on the idea of voting on reviews, especially if it can affect visibility.
#14Marioface5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 3:31:16 AM
There's so much nonsense going on with it that seems to support the idea that arbitrary factors can make someone's opinion more or less valuable than someone else's. The voting system (or, how many people agree with the reviewer) is bad enough, but including information like play time and how many products the reviewer owns on Steam is ridiculous. And then of course I'm already seeing people on the forums request things like an X/10 rating system and the ability to see how many achievements the reviewer has earned for a game.

Mostly I just wish Valve would let us customize the client to the point of being able to hide unwanted features like this. Or, since they seem to hate the idea of doing anything like that, just keep reviews restricted to each game's community hub's review page instead of showing up on the store page. And, along with that, get rid of the prompt (the giant, awful prompt) asking users to review any game they own when they're on the store page for it.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#15ClouddxPosted 11/26/2013 3:38:24 AM
^Well including the playtime is good IMO, that's extremely valuable info as it shows how much of the game the person played before deciding to throw up a review.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 470 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#16doctoglethorpePosted 11/26/2013 3:48:31 AM
I could see how the huge prompt to write your own review dead center of the store page could be annoying, but I don't see the big deal about the written reviews themselves being on there. They are at the bottom of the page, just don't scroll down that far, mission accomplished.
#17Marioface5(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 3:49:18 AM
Clouddx posted...
^Well including the playtime is good IMO, that's extremely valuable info as it shows how much of the game the person played before deciding to throw up a review.

I can see how it could be useful, but at the same time it's really easy to add to play time without actually playing (just leave the game running) and so I don't know how reliable that information would be. It should be pretty obvious if someone didn't give a game a fair chance before reviewing it, since they would likely just be complaining and bashing the game without going into detail that would require a more thorough experience.
---
The world gets weirder every day.
PSN: Marioface5
#18AllmatteredPosted 11/26/2013 3:57:26 AM
Seems like a good idea. All games storepage already have their Metacritic score listed, so might as well as have user reviews to complement as well.

It can also stop people from buying certain games like CoD
#19snesmaster40Posted 11/26/2013 5:25:51 AM
I usually just go to the discussion area of the game to see what people think about it, bur with the corruption in game jouralism it makes sense to have user reviews.

I'm also sure most people look at user reviews on Amazon before making a purchase too.
---
Are we not men?
#20codyorrPosted 11/26/2013 6:03:43 AM
I can just imagine all the 1 star reviews, "DON'T BUY THIS GAME! IT ISN'T FINISHED!" Ahaha.