This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

System enters OS shutdown mode...

#1NingishzidaPosted 11/26/2013 11:30:18 PM
... when in Windows, then starts BIOS, gets so far (how far it gets varies, might not even display BIOS screen, might get to booting Windows, might not do ****), then just turns off, then turns on again and repeats this process.

9 times out of 10 it won't get to Windows boot before turning off then turning on again.

No clues in eventvwr.msc (not BSODs or fatal sys errors), components don't seem to be overheating, OS install is clean...

PSU is top quality Corsair, I will test it tho on my other systems

Anyone had this happen, or know causes?
#2Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 11:33:38 PM
i should add i did a Windows system repair and it's been stable for 30 mins, maybe something just got jinxed with power saving, and this fed thru to BIOS?
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 11/26/2013 11:47:31 PM
Possible. Are you overclocking at all? Its definitely bios/hardware related if it wasn't even getting to the windows boot sequence.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 11:52:23 PM
No OC

i'm thinking it's just some bizarre glitch that Win repair fixed, or if this happens again it could be a dieing display card.

i guess i'll run a few more tests and monitor temps, and if it happens again i'll do some srs swapping in and out of componentry.

just have to wait until i'm at my other dwelling to do that, so i thought i'd just ask about this here for now.
#5Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2013 11:54:13 PM
I find it weird that Windows just entered the shutdown sequence, i've never had an OS auto attempt a shutdown seq on me before (i've had a hundred diff BSODs, freezes and turns offs, though).
#6DV8ingSourcesPosted 11/26/2013 11:57:00 PM(edited)
Yeah you can be fairly certain it wasn't windows related if it wasn't even getting to that point. Could have just been a random occurrence. As you said, don't really worry about it for now and if it does happen again, troubleshoot a bit more.

I've had a few instances where my bios would do something a little weird but in my case, it was almost certainly overclock related.

edit: Odd.... maybe your power button is acting up? As in the physical button. A bad contact could restart the pc and initialize the shutdown procedure when in windows.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#7Ningishzida(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 12:04:59 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
edit: Odd.... maybe your power button is acting up? As in the physical button. A bad contact could restart the pc and initialize the shutdown procedure when in windows.

this crossed my mind, there was some dust around. i wondered if something was tripping that switch, even from a vibration. mmmm...

other thing that happened, though - the first time this happened, when i tried to boot, it said "Insert a relevant boot disc" (can't remember that generic msg, it's the one when it can't find a drive), basically all of the sudden my boot priority was changed so the OS was trying to boot my data drive . i changed it back to prioritise bootdrive and it ofc booted. then it shutdown after 10 mins, and started this BS.

maybe it was some Windows update, or power saving?

i may never know unless it happens again and i'm forced to tackle the problem full on. i'll prob check the pwr switch first, like you said.