This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone recommend me a new mobo and CPU please?

#1Melted_ButterPosted 11/27/2013 1:17:13 AM(edited)
I don't even know what model of CPU or Mobo I have, but I know they're old and not-good, and that with my current mobo I can't get a current CPU (I found that out a few months ago when I did know the models)

My GPU is a GTX 470, I have 8 GB of RAM (4x 2GB) DDR3. My PSU is 600w, if any of that matters.

I'm thinking of going with a current gen i5, and I mostly do gaming on this (I'll upgrade my GPU eventually, but CPU and GPU need it first.

No real specific budget here, but I don't need super high-end stuff, just general gaming (TF2, Skyrim, WoW (on ultra settings preferably, I know the optimization on this game is utterly awful and is highly CPU intensive, so if it's not possible that's fine), Diablo 3, Path of Exile...nothing super graphics intensive, which is why I'm wasting on upgrading my 470.

I'm not really sure which mobo brands are good or not, but I think I'm pretty committed to an intel processor. (I'm willing to get an AMD if they're significantly better for comparable prices)

Edit: Just wanted to include that I value quality over cheap prices. (Although if there's some really nice cyber monday deal I'd be more than happy to take advantage of it.).
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ , have accepted him as your lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
#2Flaktrooper123Posted 11/27/2013 1:20:56 AM
Current generation? i5 4670k for CPU definitely, though if you are willing to get i7 4770k then by all means go ahead.

Not sure how much you are willing to pay for motherboard, you are fine with Asus, Asrock, MSI, and Gigabyte.

Most common suggestion is Gigabyte D3H/UD3H if you just want a reliable motherboard with no frills. MSI G45 has better onboard sound, or GD65 if you wish. The Asus boards are the best I think, but somewhat overpriced. Whatever you pick, just make sure it is LGA 1150 socket, preferably Z87 to match the processor. You can also read the various reviews for the features you want.
#3KrozardPosted 11/27/2013 1:26:37 AM
I'm a little curious of this myself.
After the MoBo I have now I'm slightly hesitant to go with an Asus myself (When I got this one I had to RMA it because the PCIeX16 slot was defective. Less than a year later the RAM slots went out and I had to RMA it again. This is the 3rd board of this model I've had and it's not even 3 years old yet.

So, if you have a specific mobo model that's good could you please link it?
I think I'll also take your advice and get a i5 4670k along with it, 2nd time I've seen that model recommended.
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Marc/simple
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/27/2013 2:01:47 AM
The i5 4670 is kind of the middle of the road, high end performance for not too much money, bang for buck option. It is in that performance/price bracket that the i5 3570k was before that, the i5 2500k was before that, and the i5 750/760 was before that. It is a sensible choice that should last you a while.

OP. Check what model of CPU you have. Just go to start, program search, type dxdiag, and it should be listed. Or you could even just go to your configuration screen and click system (I do not have an English OS so not sure about the names) or just rightclick "Computer" in the start/taskbar and go to properties.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5KrozardPosted 11/27/2013 2:48:15 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
The i5 4670 is kind of the middle of the road, high end performance for not too much money, bang for buck option. It is in that performance/price bracket that the i5 3570k was before that, the i5 2500k was before that, and the i5 750/760 was before that. It is a sensible choice that should last you a while.

OP. Check what model of CPU you have. Just go to start, program search, type dxdiag, and it should be listed. Or you could even just go to your configuration screen and click system (I do not have an English OS so not sure about the names) or just rightclick "Computer" in the start/taskbar and go to properties.

I'm not OP, but I've got an i5 760, at 2.8ghz. Would like to upgrade this and my MoBo by Christmas to something better. I think the 4670 is the processor I'm getting, but I don't really know what to look for in a processor or what ones are good (given my history with Asus I'd like to avoid the brand this time around, I know they're supposed to be good, but personal experience makes me hesitate)
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/arthas/Marc/simple