This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't access bios on new machine. CPU or MB issue?

#1Delta123456789Posted 11/27/2013 7:26:33 AM
Hi all,

I've been building a new PC for the first time and I've hit a brick wall. For some reason when I turn on the machine I get a list of attached parts on screen but then it freezes and refuses to take me to boot or setup menus. I've had a computer-savvy friend check over the wiring and the rest and we still got the issue after removing everything apart from the cpu and graphics card (since the motherboard doesn't have onboard video). We came to the conclusion that it was probably the CPU or motherboard, but I wasn't sure how to work out which one is the problem. Should I try taking it into a shop so they can try a different CPU?

The only mistake I think I made when setting up was using too much thermal gel to connect the cooler to the CPU (since the manual picture showed a large glob), but it didn't get into the pins or motherboard or anything.

If you hammer DEL while starting up it says "starting setup" under the part list but doesn't actually go anywhere, and is unresponsive to key presses. The fact DEL has some effect and that the keyboard light is on suggests it isn't a keyboard issue though I'd say.

These are the parts I'm using by the way (apart from the CPU, which is a 6350 not a 6300):
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/208OW

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated as it's really frustrating not knowing what to do.

Thanks.
---
DF: So why can a Marauder roll but a multiplayer Turian can't?
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#2Killah PriestPosted 11/27/2013 7:28:30 AM
no PC speaker to listen for event beeps?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3lost_withinPosted 11/27/2013 7:30:05 AM
It is most likely the mobo... CPU's can go bad, but in the 10 years I have been repairing computers I have never come across a dead CPU, that isn't to say it wasn't DOA though...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#4godplaysSNESPosted 11/27/2013 7:35:34 AM
The only way to be sure is either testing the CPU in another motherboard, or testing another CPU in that motherboard.
The only time I've had to deal with a defective CPU, it looked like everything worked when powering it on, but nothing at all showed up on the screen.

Looking at the CPU support list for that motherboard, the 6350 is supported since BIOS 7693v1A. If the current BIOS version is older than that, perhaps that could be the reason.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5HydroCannabinolPosted 11/27/2013 7:38:55 AM
Try resetting the BIOS by takin out the cmos battery for a few minutes then try again. Seems like bad mobo I would just RMA it if the cmos doesn't work. Not worth the time imo the test the cpu its prolly good.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#6Delta123456789(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 7:44:26 AM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Motherboard sounds like the more likely culprit I guess, though it could be a defective CPU or maybe a mistake with the paste or static during setup. Wonder how much a shop would charge to test the motherboard with a different CPU...

Killah Priest posted...
no PC speaker to listen for event beeps?

I don't think it does I'm afraid. Case is quite a basic tower. Only plug on it I wasn't able to plug it was a many-pinned USB3 plug which my motherboard didn't have a slot for so I assume it just doesn't have one.
---
Delta1-9: You are fighting female turian husks. You have reach but they have flexibility.
#7godplaysSNESPosted 11/27/2013 7:46:08 AM
Thermal paste has nothing to do with it unless some came onto the socket or the underside of the CPU. Applying too much or too little thermal paste just affects the CPU temps.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#8Delta123456789(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 7:51:16 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Try resetting the BIOS by takin out the cmos battery for a few minutes then try again. Seems like bad mobo I would just RMA it if the cmos doesn't work. Not worth the time imo the test the cpu its prolly good.

I tried that a couple of times, no joy apart from freezing on a different message ("Press 1 to setup or F2 to continue" instead of "DEL to setup or F11 for boot menu").

At least I got the parts from Amazon so there's a fair chance they might replace it.

By the way, how important is a good CPU cooler if you aren't overclocking? The one I bought (in the list above) was pretty big and looked dangerously close to going above the case and stopping me putting a side panel on, so I wondered how good the default AMD fan the CPU came with would be.
---
#9lost_withinPosted 11/27/2013 7:59:25 AM
Delta123456789 posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...

I tried that a couple of times, no joy apart from freezing on a different message ("Press 1 to setup or F2 to continue" instead of "DEL to setup or F11 for boot menu").

At least I got the parts from Amazon so there's a fair chance they might replace it.

By the way, how important is a good CPU cooler if you aren't overclocking? The one I bought (in the list above) was pretty big and looked dangerously close to going above the case and stopping me putting a side panel on, so I wondered how good the default AMD fan the CPU came with would be.

Cooler is always better, so if it physically fits, then use it... otherwise you will have to use the stock cooler...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#10Delta123456789(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 8:03:54 AM
Right, I'll give the cooler a try and see if the case will play ball (must buy some more thermal paste though).

Thanks again for all the help guys, it means lot to have people pitching in when you are stuck and stressed.
---