This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is a good gaming keyboard?

#1SkaterUBPosted 11/27/2013 11:02:02 AM
Just looking for opinions on your favorites.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#2GarquillPosted 11/27/2013 11:12:47 AM
any mechanical keyboard with Brown/Black/Red switches
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#3_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/27/2013 11:53:37 AM(edited)
"Gaming keyboards" are mostly a marketing trick. There are a lot of keyboards that are not from a gaming brand or marketed as gaming products, yet they make excellent gaming keyboards.

Probably the most necessary characteristics are durability, "feel", and 6 key rollover (or more). Other features such as dedicated media keys and backlighting are optional, but will not do much for you in terms of performance.

When it comes to keyboards, it is probably typing where you benefit most from going for a good keyboard. There is no "best". Which is best for you is dependent on your preferences in terms of Switch-type (Cherry MX red, black, brown, blue, Topre etc.), in terms of size and layout (full, tenkeyless, 60%), in terms of aesthetics (cool, business like or gamer look) and other more detailed characteristics (type of stabilizers, attached wristpad, material of the keycaps etc.).

Some brands to Consider are Das, Noppoo, KBT, Leopold, Keycool, Realforce, Happy Hacking, Cooler master, Corsair, Ducky, Steelseries, Razer, Zowie, Filco, WASD, Deck among others.

All of these brands have products that do the job fine and would satisfy anyone given that they took the time to match their preferences with the actual keyboard they get. Personally I think Cherry stabilizers give a much less enjoyable typing experience, which is why I am actually not too fond of some of the often recommended keyboards on this board, which are mostly Ducky and Corsair. Do not get me wrong, they are good keyboards.

The best value for money (imo) is probably the Cooler Master Quickfire rapid with the MX switch of your choice.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#4YOeastonYOPosted 11/27/2013 12:03:52 PM
I bought a corsair k70 last month and it is the greatest keyboard I have ever owned. The back lights can be adjusted, the keys are raised so cleaning is very easy, and it's very comfortable.

Best of all is the brushed aluminum finish. It has a very high durable and quality feel to it.
---
FX-9590 | Antec Kuhler h2o 1020 | ASUS 7970 | ROG Crosshair V | Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD | ROG Raidr | Antec TPQ-1200 | Antec DF-85 | AMD Radeon RG2133 |
#5eminemrapman101Posted 11/27/2013 12:05:27 PM
corsair k70..........its greatness.
#6somebody336Posted 11/27/2013 12:05:32 PM
Corsair K70 is pretty good.
#7Solid_FakePosted 11/27/2013 12:08:48 PM
http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=290

You won't need to buy another keyboard.
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#8ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/27/2013 12:09:51 PM
Make sure you get something with n-key rollover.
#9Master_BassPosted 11/27/2013 12:17:50 PM
Solid_Fake posted...
http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=290

You won't need to buy another keyboard.

This. Ducky is great if you're willing to spend that much on a keyboard. I'm still very happy with my original Ducky Shine.
---
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.
#10wizardmonPosted 11/27/2013 12:20:13 PM
Ducky shine is amazing, wish they existed when I purchased my Razer blackwidow ultimate, which BTW is not good or worth anywhere near the 110$ I paid for it.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)