This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question re: Steam OS

#1The_HyphenatorPosted 11/27/2013 1:04:35 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post Steam OS questions, but I couldn't find a specific forum related to it, so I'm posting here.

I'm considering skipping both the PS4 and Xbox One this generation and going with a gaming PC for my third-party game needs. However, I'm also tempted by the prospect of the new Steam Machines, since they'll basically streamline PC gaming into something more similar to the console experience I'm used to. Also, they would allow me to forego having to use Windows on what's basically just going to be a gaming machine for me.

However, I am a little concerned that the Steam OS won't allow the computers using it to run games that aren't purchased on Steam, which would mean I'd be missing out on deals and libraries offered by GoG, Green Man Gaming, etc. I've done a few searches on the topic, but I can't find anywhere that this question has been answered yet. Is there any official word on this, or are we still waiting on Valve to make a statement?
#2SinisterSlayPosted 11/27/2013 1:06:27 PM
SteamOS is linux.
If the game on Gog works on linux, it will (probably) work on steamos.

All linux games should be supported.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/27/2013 1:07:35 PM
It's just a prebuilt computer with Linux.

Buy one.
#4KillerTrufflePosted 11/27/2013 1:09:19 PM
Also keep in mind that SteamOS won't natively support every single Steam game - at least at first. Again, it's Linux, so it will only run Linux games itself. However, you can still dual-boot with Windows or something, and use Windows to play any non-Linux games.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5ShadowThaReaperPosted 11/27/2013 1:11:47 PM
You can also stream games from a windows PC to your Steam Machine.

Which is pretty neat.
#6AsucaHayashiPosted 11/27/2013 1:23:39 PM
solutions:

1: wait till game becomes supported as steamOS gains popularity
2: stream from windows computer to steamOS box
3: install windows on your steambox and/or dual boot and have the best of both worlds
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#7arleasPosted 11/27/2013 2:13:47 PM
3: install windows on your steambox and/or dual boot and have the best of both worlds

This would probably be the best option for most people unless they already have a kick ass gaming computer and just want to stream to their living room anyway.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/ByJEpRK.gif
#8dekouPosted 11/27/2013 2:22:22 PM
The_Hyphenator posted...
However, I am a little concerned that the Steam OS won't allow the computers using it to run games that aren't purchased on Steam, which would mean I'd be missing out on deals and libraries offered by GoG, Green Man Gaming, etc. I've done a few searches on the topic, but I can't find anywhere that this question has been answered yet. Is there any official word on this, or are we still waiting on Valve to make a statement?

Steam OS will be open source, so it's highly unlikely to include any DRM. Of course, it'll probably come with Steam installed, but you get the point.
#9SinisterSlayPosted 11/27/2013 2:24:43 PM
dekou posted...
The_Hyphenator posted...

Steam OS will be open source, so it's highly unlikely to include any DRM. Of course, it'll probably come with Steam installed, but you get the point.

If it did it would last a total of 5 minutes before a fork of SteamOS was released without the DRM.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence